LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life is too short for dislikes.
Morning guys,

Just wanted to share my happy update. So, bit of background.

2020 My diabetes was ok (I thought but was not doing regular checks). I moved to Ireland and it was a mad time, especially getting registered with a GP. Eventually I did but as you can imagine things were crazy with COVID and everything else. A bad side effect of moing was my diet went to **** and Ireland is renowned for its potatoes & bread which I fully (stupidly) embraced. Shoot forward to 2022, go to the GP and my HB1AC is on the rise (don't remember the reading). So despite managing to get off metformin and other meds (bar ramipril) I am advised it would be a good idea to go back to the Metformin. I was gutted but thought oh well. GP has been great and was then on a more structured monitoring with the diabetic nurse at the practice. Went for a checkup in January 2023. Let's just say it was not a good review. Had bloods done and then the GP called to say I needed to up the metformin medication as my HB1AC had risen to 90. I know, I know this is stupid, especially after getting it to lower in 2016 from 104 to 48. Sometimes you need a kick up the backside and the GP provded the necessary boot.

Anyway, I have been working on my diet, not a strict as I was back in 2016 but just mindful of what I was eating. Also not denying myself the odd treat. I was already running, regularly attending ParkRun on a Saturday morning but also going back to the gym. I made the concious effort not to sign up for the year but do it on a pay as you go basis. This way I don't beat myself up if I am not in there a few times a week. I mix it up with running with the dog. Anyway, I had an diabetes MOT this week and I am delighted with the results. I knew the weight was coming down but when I was at the Doctor in January 2023 my weight was 109kg's but I am now down to 92kg. I look at this and think could I lift 17 bags of sugar? Also my cholestrol is good but most importantly my HB1AC is back to 45.

I am v happy and plan to avoid going through the rigmaroll again. I hope this can maybe help someone if they are stuck a bit and you can do it or do it again if you put your mind to it.

Thanks for listening.

Warren

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations!
But may I suggest you are not so hard on yourself for being human and embracing local diets and customs?
Covid was a tough time for most of us and moving at the time must have made it much harder.

Please focus on your success rather than what you see as your previous failure.
Be the Happy Bunny without the "But".