Having a few BG problems!

michael88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, sorry i only seem to be posting when I have problems but you have helped me out a lot before so hoping to help out again . I've recently returned from our honeymoon (bloods where always between 4 - 7 without having to take much insulin, was like a diabetic holiday all in one). Since returning it's been a diabetic nightmare ha. My bloods which have never really been over 10 have been spiralling to 15 / 16. I've literally upped my glargine (was on 4 now on 10 units) and my novarapid taking 1 with meals now up to 3-4 per meal. I can't even seem to have a cup of coffee with splash of milk anymore without my bg shooting up. I'm thinking this is the end of the honeymoon period, but then I worry that my glargine has gone off (altho it's been in the fridge) reason behind this is I may miss breakfast and have nothing to eat from 8pm the night before until 11am and my bloods are still constantly around 9. I really thought I'd had this kind of under control but not it's really thrown me, I try and be quite positive but this had knocked my for 6 and I had to take a moment today at work to pull myself together as I feel completely overwhelmed and really suffer from great light headedness (but I've been told this can be an affect from the insulin). It maybe because I've got from monthly appointments where I could discuss everything to my next appointment being 6 months away...I've had this 5 month now and i feel people's tolerance has kind of wavered now when I still need a little support - but I think if I can get this back on track I can deal with the side effects later. Sorry for my moaning! Haha it even feels a lot better now ranting a little and getting these past 2 nightmare weeks off my chest!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @michael88

Your bg levels staying around 9mmol/l from 8pm to 11am is a good sign that your basal dose during this time is correct, if it wasn't it would fluctuate either up or down.

Maybe try a basal test during the rest of the day and if that is OK look then at your insulin-to-carb ratio's, insulin needs do go up when the HP ends so your just experiencing what many type 1's do.

Ring your diabetes clinic up and see if you can speak with a DSN. Good luck.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @michael88

one of the things to really be aware of is that this D is a long term game ( ok -- it's not a game):eek:
with any results it is important to evaluate readings and act after seeing a pattern -- never a knee jerk reaction.
I always try to look for at least 3 days to find if a pattern exists before making changes to doses.