Hba1c

Smudger10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got my hba1c down from 85 to 45 in a year with I think going to the gym three times a week when I got type 2 diabetes I thought to myself as I am 67 what am I going to do I will need an operation at sometime and my consultant said can’t do an operation with your hba1c been so high so I thought to myself I am going to lose weight which I have got rid of a stone and a half and started going to the gym best thing I ever did not just the exercise but great for my mental health getting diabetes is not the end of the world and fact it kick started me into getting something done about it

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great result well done. I reduced mine by almost half so I can have an operation but I did mine going low carb. Because of my back injury I can’t do gym exercises right now but I did enjoy it when I used to go.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

MoyaAnne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Exercise classes
I have got my hba1c down from 85 to 45 in a year with I think going to the gym three times a week when I got type 2 diabetes I thought to myself as I am 67 what am I going to do I will need an operation at sometime and my consultant said can’t do an operation with your hba1c been so high so I thought to myself I am going to lose weight which I have got rid of a stone and a half and started going to the gym best thing I ever did not just the exercise but great for my mental health getting diabetes is not the end of the world and fact it kick started me into getting something done about it
Same age as me.
Ignored the advice for too long, refused to take metformin as I was terrified of the very high incidence of the nausea, diarrhoea and headaches side effects.
After being so unwell I ended up close to ketoacidosis.
Wake up call that pushed me into action.
Now started metformin. Just upped to two a day from one.
Massive diet change, having to test is a real pain. But I guess death is probably worse. Or becoming so ill with Diabetic health issues that I can’t look after and enjoy my grandchildren. ( 16 in total but 9 of them are 6 and under. )
My mum was diagnosed earlier than this, but she ended up on so many different tablets for several things. I’m only going to take one new medication at a time.
Meanwhile I haven’t missed chocolate or biscuits at all.
I yearn for bread though. You can keep your cakes and chocolate. I usually give these up for Lent but that’s only six weeks.
I am so looking forward to eating wholemeal seeded bread. Haven’t eaten white bread for over 20 years
Some people are ok with bread, but sadly I’m not one of them.

andrewk75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, same age as me wish I had your discipline, I go for walks most days aiming for between 6000/10000 steps per day and do some light weights at home but can't face the gym.

Keep it up.

andrewk75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same age as me.
Ignored the advice for too long, refused to take metformin as I was terrified of the very high incidence of the nausea, diarrhoea and headaches side effects.
After being so unwell I ended up close to ketoacidosis.
Wake up call that pushed me into action.
Now started metformin. Just upped to two a day from one.
Massive diet change, having to test is a real pain. But I guess death is probably worse. Or becoming so ill with Diabetic health issues that I can’t look after and enjoy my grandchildren. ( 16 in total but 9 of them are 6 and under. )
My mum was diagnosed earlier than this, but she ended up on so many different tablets for several things. I’m only going to take one new medication at a time.
Meanwhile I haven’t missed chocolate or biscuits at all.
I yearn for bread though. You can keep your cakes and chocolate. I usually give these up for Lent but that’s only six weeks.
I am so looking forward to eating wholemeal seeded bread. Haven’t eaten white bread for over 20 years
Some people are ok with bread, but sadly I’m not one of them.
Must admit I have been OK with Metformin even on the maximum dose I take the slow release type, if you haven't been given that ask for it. It is much easier to tolerate, at least for me.

However I am just about to start Forxiga and the possible side effects look very scary, but I am hoping that I am lucky as I was with Metformin.

You mention looking forward to eating wholemeal bread, might be worth trying LivLife as it is low carb and high protein.

MoyaAnne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Exercise classes
Must admit I have been OK with Metformin even on the maximum dose I take the slow release type, if you haven't been given that ask for it. It is much easier to tolerate, at least for me.

However I am just about to start Forxiga and the possible side effects look very scary, but I am hoping that I am lucky as I was with Metformin.

You mention looking forward to eating wholemeal bread, might be worth trying LivLife as it is low carb and high protein.
I’ve tried Allindons Seriously seeded ( toasted with Half an avocado and a poached egg with some raw veg.
Didn’t spike my sugars.
I’m still a bit wary.
They tell you berries are ok with yoghurt or porridge ( I love porridge) but I had a 15.1 reading after that so I won’t touch it now.
Even yoghurt with four blueberries and two raspberries spiked it to 13.4.
So frustrating that the so called ‘good’ fruit I can’t even eat.

andrewk75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve tried Allindons Seriously seeded ( toasted with Half an avocado and a poached egg with some raw veg.
Didn’t spike my sugars.
I’m still a bit wary.
They tell you berries are ok with yoghurt or porridge ( I love porridge) but I had a 15.1 reading after that so I won’t touch it now.
Even yoghurt with four blueberries and two raspberries spiked it to 13.4.
So frustrating that the so called ‘good’ fruit I can’t even eat.
Not a fan of avocado, but I do like eggs, just started eating LivLife low carb bread again to try and reduce carbs.

I have been eating porridge regularly since I was diagnosed, with an occasional treat of no added sugar muesli. Basically told that porridge was a good option, probably not that good then.

I have never tested as I have been told quite often you don't need to weigh Type 2, so not sure about possible spikes.

Just started Greek yoghurt with fruit as an option to my usual yogurt treat.

• Optimistic
Reactions: filly