Headaches......

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was diagnosed just over 4 weeks ago but for last last week or so I wake up with a thumping headache that isn't easy to shift. Anyone else experienced this? My DSN thinks it's my body getting used to lower bg levels but it's starting to become a problem in that it's effecting my concentration levels :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you have cut carbs, and losing weight, you may need to add more salt, a simple test is a teaspoon in some water ..if the headache goes or not, is the answer

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't really started low carbs as on insulin therapy so haven't played around too much with changing doses to match food as the dose they have told me to take seems to be working :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't really started low carbs as on insulin therapy so haven't played around too much with changing doses to match food as the dose they have told me to take seems to be working :(
it's not salt then...sorry, I'm out of ideas, it helps for T2 that cut carbs. I hope they settle for you soon.
as a newly diagnosed T1 you probably need to bulk up..you may find down the track that you can adjust your weight by the amount of carbs you eat

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i found that i get headaches when my levels are high

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi
I was diagnosed just over 4 weeks ago but for last last week or so I wake up with a thumping headache that isn't easy to shift. Anyone else experienced this? My DSN thinks it's my body getting used to lower bg levels but it's starting to become a problem in that it's effecting my concentration levels :(

I would check your bg levels for a couple of nights, it may be that your bg levels are dropping too low in your sleep which would explain the morning headaches, if this is the case then you need to adjust your basal insulin (if on basal/bolus) so that your levels don't fluctuate much more than 1.6mmol throughout the night.

The following has a great explanation on the role of basal insulin and explains how to carry out a basal check, as it's an American site you will need to convert the readings from mg/dl to mmol/l:

http://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok x would you suggest testing several times in the night? I generally go to bed about 9,30pm and test before I go to bed, so should I set a alarms for midnight 2am and 4am or does it need to be more frequently to get a better picture?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok x would you suggest testing several times in the night? I generally go to bed about 9,30pm and test before I go to bed, so should I set a alarms for midnight 2am and 4am or does it need to be more frequently to get a better picture?

If your levels are fine on going to bed I would set your alarm for 1am then again around 4am, there's no need to overdo the testing but just knowing how your bg levels are behaving might just explain the headaches in the morning.

As your newly diagnosed you should ask your DSN to put your name down for the next available DFANE course, the waiting times are long so it will take some time before you enrol, however the following is an on-line carb counting course which is based on the DAFNE teachings:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you :) I will have a look at that and mention it next time I see my DSN

No problem, but you should see your gp if the headaches continue, there might be other reasons for them and unrelated to your diabetes.