Hello and thank you

markveg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just want to say hello and also thank you to the forum generally.

Today is the first time i have registered and posted but i have been viewing since May when i was diagnosed as T2. I have found the forum invaluable along with the rest of the internet. I control my bg with diet and exercise last blood test HbA1c 5.6 down from 9.7. I have found my GP not helpful at all not offered dietician had to organise my own eye test with local charity but I am able to look after myself others may not be so lucky.

Went to the doctor because I collapsed bg was very high all the symptoms but was not aware of what it was! I have managed to take my weight down by 2 ½ stone (now have bmi of 25) and cholesterol from 7.6 to 5 all in 6 months. However still fine tuning diet and exercise, winter months have been difficult so expect HbA1c to increase slightly next blood test (that is if my GP asks me if not I will organise myself).

One question then is what should a newly diabetic expect and when from the health care system?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,
Here is a post I did before on what to ask the GP. If you feel you are not being supported then, as it says in the quote, see if you can find another doctor !

Here are a few questions you can ask.

What can I do to control it, diet,medication ??

Appointments to see dietician, podiatrist, retinal screening.

Test meter /strips.

Test results and what do they mean? Get a print out of the results for your own records.

Who will I be seeing the nurse or GP? If I have problem can I see either of you?

Are there any courses I can attend, DESMOND for Type 2, DAFNE for Type 1's ? Any other Diabetes Education classes available.

How often do I get blood tests, Hba1c/Cholesterol/ full lipid panel.. Should be every 3 months initially till in control.

Take a notebook with you and write down what you are told. If the doctor/nurse says things that you do not understand then ask them to explain it so that you can write it down.

This is your condition, your diabetes, you should be encouraged to take part in the treatment that you will be getting, not dictated to.

If you find that the doctor/nurse is unsympathetic then we suggest you find out which doctor in the practice is good with diabetes. Some doctors have a special interest in certain subjects, it’s worth finding this out.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Mark,

I get fed up of reading little pamphlets about guidelines and what we "should" expect. My DN has told me that she doesnt approve of my diet and that I do not need to test and even though she has taken me off medication, we dont need to test or examine me for 6 months, so I insisted on a 3 month blood test, which she approved. She told me that I am the practice's "best diabetes patient". :? :? :?
Three things which would make massive improvements to our care :-
1. Free meter and test strips for ALL diabetics - Recording material and a commitment to go over the results with a HCP.
2. 3 monthly HBA1C, lipids, functions.
3. A refresh of the NHS dietary guidelines to recognise the inroads that lo-carbers have made in managing their diabetes and that the way to manage glucose levels is NOT to increase glucose product consumption.

all the best Steve.

markveg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Steve

I completely agree with you, you can't manage unless you measure! and the low carb diet is what is giving me the results. So how do we change the NHS advice, I call it the natural health service, its cheap and effective rather than drugs and financial incentives.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
markveg said:
So how do we change the NHS advice
Mark,
there is a groundswell on this forum which feed back to their respective HCP's, Diabetes UK are changing there stance and the message is getting through, I truly believe that it is only a matter of time before the dietary guidelines and the right to free strips for all changes for the better.

Here's hoping :wink:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's great progress in a short time markveg, top marks.
I think Steve is right, rational dietary advice must eventually sweep aside the arrant nonsense currently on offer from the NHS and DUK. Change may well come as a result of people like you who have the courage and good sense to simply disregard the standard dietary advice.

All the best,

fergus