Hello Everyone

Russ-T

Dislikes
Dance music, romcoms, ignorant and intolerant people. Football aka soccer. Aubergines aka egg plants.
Hi

My Name is Russ, I'm 41 and was diagnosed with type 2 3 weeks ago after pestering my doctor to do some blood tests.
I haven't been feeling 'right' for around 12 months and just put it down to being depressed, overweight, unfit and age.
But it was getting worse, so I wondered if I had some kind of food allergy or intolerance.
I thought i may have been fructose intolerant - but the tests came back as positive for type 2.
Shouldn't have been suprised, my Mother is also type 2.

Looking back, over the last 2 years, whenever I had a high sugar intake, I felt rough, like i was coming down with a cold. And anything sugary before bed time left me jittery and restless.

The signs were there - I just didn't know how to read them or indeed if there was anything to read.

So I'm learning. New lifestyle, better diet, different outlook.
I can probably go a few years managing with diet & exercise - i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sorry it had to be in this way, but welcome!
At least you have an explanation for your feeling unwell.
Did the Doctor tell you what your blood sugar was? Has any treatment been suggested?
May I suggest as a starter for you:
Cut your carb intake as low as you can cope with Essentially sugar to zero,( that's pretty easy) and starches to a minimum.
This should have you feeling better within days. Our experience is, that most doctor's don't like patients following this type of diet. Unless they have personal experience of diabetes that is. In addition, get yourself a BG meter. You might get a free one from a manufacturer if you ring them, and some test strips.( they're not expensive anyway, but the strips can be) Read the instruction booklet and start to monitor your BG. Start by checking first thing each morning. The units on the meter are millimoles per litre(mmoll/l). A non diabetic has a BG of between 4 and 5.5 mmol/l pretty much all the time. that's your target.
If you cut the carbs, you should find your numbers heading towards that target in a matter of days.
It's quite likely that tyou will be given a different meal plan from the one I've suggested (and told that you don't need to monitor your own blood.
That's the kind of advice you can do without. If it happens, you know you are on the uphill slope of trying to take control of your own condition."Let battle commence!" The exercise will be good for you :lol:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya russ,
welcome and anything u want to know just ask away,someone will have the answer :D

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Welcome Russ. you'll learn a lot on this site and have some fun doing so. :wink:

Russ-T

Dislikes
Dance music, romcoms, ignorant and intolerant people. Football aka soccer. Aubergines aka egg plants.
Thanks for the welcome guys and girls.
I'm learning every day and glad to be part of this site.