1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello - please can anyone help

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by alsida, Apr 24, 2012.

1. alsida

alsida · Member

Hi Everyone. I have seen this site many times and avidly read the posts, but I have just decided to join. I was diagnosed 9 months ago as a Type 2 and feel so very angry - I feel like I have been handed the gun to end it all. I have just reached a point in my life where I should have the chance to be happy for a while but I can't get this out of my head. The week after being diagnosed I joined a gym and go three times a week I stopped smoking and I overhauled my diet. I test myself regularly to try and keep on top of things, but I can't seem to have any control over my morning blood glucose reading. For most of the time I am in the 5's and 6's, depending on what I have eaten or what I am doing, but am closer to 8 most mornings. Please can someone help me and tell me how to bring this down. I have asked the Diabetic nurse but she just brushes me off. :(

2. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Hi Aisida and welcome! The morning BG is usually the most stubborn to get down and under control. To a degree, you need to be a bit patient and keep to the diet (reduced/low carbs presumably?) Some people are more affected by the dawn phenomenon than others, where the body dumps some glucose into our system to ready us for the day. This means our morning readings are high, because unlike a non-diabetic we can't quickly handle this dump of glucose. Often, after brekky and a bit of just "being awake" and moving around, our BG comes back down fairly quickly.
    There are a few things you can look at.
    In my case, if I go to bed with a highish BG, I wake up with one. So I make sure I eat NOTHING and drink NOTHING with any carbs in at least 2 hours prior to bed. I see you're on diet only, so there's no need for bedtime snacks. Even a small glass of milk before bed made me wake with higher BGs.
    Having said that, some people find the opposite! If they DON'T eat a small snack before bed, they get the dawn phenomenon!
    So check what you do currently, and change accordingly. check your evening eating habits, and maybe check your BG before bed to see if it's higher then.

3. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Alsida and welcome to the forum :) Here is some information that we give to new members which should help you to stabilise your levels. Ask all the questions you like as there is always someone here to help.

4. alsida

alsida · Member

Daisy - thank you - this is fantastic!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook