totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya u lot,
ok here goes, ive been diabetic 7yrs now and everything was going great (apart from my other illnesses) except for the problem i have on my period when i hypo for no reason, anyway i was in agony a few weeks ago which my gp thought might be gallstones,it wasnt but after the pain i became chronically constipated with lots of mucus and bright red blood, after an internal examination my gp gave me lots of movicol, my scan then showed i had a slightly fatty liver,and my blood tests showed my glucose was high so was sent for a fasting glucose which came bk today as 10.3 , i have to have another nxt week and see my diabetic nurse in 3 weeks, im still constipated .
now thanks if u managed to read this far, my problem is that i have not had a reading over 10 when blood testing,they are mostly 4-6mmol so cant understand having high glucose,can anyone plz help???

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
no ive to see her on 20th x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
yeah im seeing her tomorrow about the constipation,just wondered if anyone had heard of anything like it before,thanks for your help ;)

josie38

Hi totsy,

When you see your dr tomorrow ask why fasting blood test. I have had T1 for 14 years and never done a fasting blood test so not sure what to say.

let us know what dr said.

josie

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya josie, it was taken as i had blood tests for everything after the stomach pain n showed up as high so had fasting last week n then another nxt week
will let u know tmorrow
amanda

jopar

Totsy

Have you checked that your meter is reading correctly?

When you say a fasting glucose, what does this mean that you fast for xxx many hours then they take one test or are you talking about the Glucose Tollerance Test?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jopar,
in the lot of bloods i had my glucose was high so i had a fasting last week(no food or drink overnight) and it was still out of range, and yes ive tested on 2 different meters to check them and everythings ok
amanda

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Totsy, how long is it between testing on waking upand when you get your blood tested? I know that when I go for an HbA1c my blood glucose will rise from getting up and getting the lab. This may be worse if you are worried, and so not be a true 'normal' fasting reading .
One thing you can also do is to ask if you can use the same blood to check your meter or do a capilliary check (fingertip) at the same time but venous fasting blood readings may be about a mmol higher than capilliary.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
good idea , its a couple of hrs after i get up that ive had test and on weds i will do that with the test,
thankyou

jopar

ah right, I was thrown for a minute, never been asked to do a fasting test before, with the exception of the GGT I had over 20 years ago,

Could be that you have a bit of DP's and dash of the worries..

Could you do delay your breakfast one morning before the test, then do a test every hour from when you get up, see if your BG naturally rises!

This might give you an indicator whether it's a bit of DP going on, the worries or a bit of both

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
will do,thanks for the advice ;)

Margi

totsy said:
hya u lot,
except for the problem i have on my period when i hypo for no reason,
I know this isn't really what you are asking about, but it caught my eye and, while I can't give you a reason, I can tell you my experience of it. It seems it is normal for BS to rise during the days - for me, up to two weeks or even more - before a period and then, at some unpredictable point during, or a day or so after the end of the period, your BS drops like a stone. I call it my 'crash day', and it happens every single period, you just never know quite when it will happen. I don't know what causes it, but presumably it's to do with hormones and their vagaries, but it seems to be a recognised thing. So, like I said, I can't give a reason, but it is not uncommon and you just have to juggle insulin etc to accommodate it. I am soooooo glad that I am almost past it all now. Had a whole year off till February this year! Thought I'd stopped, but not quite. Balance is so much easier to achieve now without that nuisance monthly cycle.

Can't advise on the other stuff I'm afraid, but good luck with it all.

squishee

Hi totsy,

Again, like Margi, I can't really help directly but thought I'd share an experience of my own.

About 5 or 6 years ago I switched my contraceptive pill - can't remember what I swapped to, but it started causing me awful troubles about 2 months after I started on it. It was a combined pill, and the day before I was due to start my period I would get awful, crippling pains in my abdomen & between my shoulder pains. I would be sick constantly for around 24hrs, couldn't keep anything down even water. Terrible. The only thing that helped was curling up by a heater or radiator, and sleeping it off. GP at uni put it down to "PMS" :O
The worse thing was that my sugars would drop, and trying to deal with a hypo when you can't keep anything down is not fun :(
Anyway, after about of year of this I had enough and on one particularly bad attack my mum took me to A&E. Turned out I was suffering from short attacks of pancreatitis!! The only thing we could narrow it down to was the pill so I stopped taking it & (touch wood!) I haven't had an attack for a number of years now.

Now when I get my periods my BS rises dramatically about 6-12hrs before I start bleeding (we're talking in the 20s here!) and drops right back down to normal about an hour or so after I start. I have to keep a really careful eye on when I'm due, so I don't over-react to the high BS & go hypo after. Just gotta ride it out.

Anyways, not sure if you take any sort of contraceptives or not (I take nothing at all now, don't want to risk being ill every 4 weeks again) but it might be worth looking at if you do? Hormones are pesky creatures! ;)

xx

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thankyou all fotr the advice, it looks like it might me my pancreas causing pain too but im not on contraception so will have to see, had more bloods done tday and see dr next friday so see how i go ;)