Help

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi guys, as of writing this my bloods are 21.4 and my ketones are 0.4.

I’ve got a chest infection and I’m not on steroids just amoxicillin, I’m starting to panic and get scared because I don’t know what to do or how much insulin to take when I’m poorly. I want to cry so bad right now.

Any help until the nurse contacts me.

Thank you

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, as of writing this my bloods are 21.4 and my ketones are 0.4.

I’ve got a chest infection and I’m not on steroids just amoxicillin, I’m starting to panic and get scared because I don’t know what to do or how much insulin to take when I’m poorly. I want to cry so bad right now.

Any help until the nurse contacts me.

Thank you
I get that often when I have a bad infection. First of all don't panic! When you're unwell your body needs more insulin because your liver kicks out more glucose into your blood which is why you're seeing these very high levels. So it's a good idea to slightly higher your insulin doses with your background and quick acting. I usually take an extra 2 units for background and then an extra 20% quick acting. It's different for everyone you just need to find what's good for you. Your sugars will most likely stay higher than normal though but if they're over 20 then that needs sorting. For the ketones it's technically at a normal level if it's under 0.6 but for that just make sure you drink plenty of water as if it goes higher you'll become dehydrated. Eating little snacks usually helps me if ketones are present when I'm not eating normally. Hope this helps a little the nurse will know best though.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: aylalake and ElenaP

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I get that often when I have a bad infection. First of all don't panic! When you're unwell your body needs more insulin because your liver kicks out more glucose into your blood which is why you're seeing these very high levels. So it's a good idea to slightly higher your insulin doses with your background and quick acting. I usually take an extra 2 units for background and then an extra 20% quick acting. It's different for everyone you just need to find what's good for you. Your sugars will most likely stay higher than normal though but if they're over 20 then that needs sorting. For the ketones it's technically at a normal level if it's under 0.6 but for that just make sure you drink plenty of water as if it goes higher you'll become dehydrated. Eating little snacks usually helps me if ketones are present when I'm not eating normally. Hope this helps a little the nurse will know best though.
Thank you so much

Reactions: JCBBFC27

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your readings are high because of infection. On the positive side, because it is day-time, you are awake to be able to check your glucose and ketones. Your hospital diabetes nurse should/would have given you 'Sick Day Rules'. Just follow those. Basically they tell you to have extra insulin when your readings are high, to check ketones and drink more water than usual. No need to panic. I hope that you start feeling better soon.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
The nurse has contacted me and had a good chat, Dafne course booked for December so I’m so glad to be going on that so I can get as much information as possible ❤️

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
I usually find if I go above 14 I need 1/3 to 1/2 as much insulin added to my normal ISF dose.

Also found different insulins didn't work well at high BGs - Fiasp was like injecting water above 12, where as Novorapid (Fiasp is Novorapid with 'stuff in') worked with the 1/3 increase.

Looks like they're all a bit different in the way they work with our individual metabolisms