1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents' started by Traceylh, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Traceylh

Traceylh · Active Member

When my daughter is at home her blood sugars are brill, but when she is at school she is having a lot of lows, when her blood sugars are done before dinner they are fine but after dinner they are going low, her teacher is saying she doesn't no wot she is having for dinner and I am really worried they are not treat hypos properly, already approached them with issues around not monitoring wot she is eating, any advice on how to handle it again, I am at my wits end with it!!!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Could it be the exercise your daughter is doing in the lunch break that is causing the hypo's, little ones are non stop especially when playing with other children, if it's the case then you may need to discuss reducing her lunchtime insulin with the diabetes team.

3. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd agree. Even a 10 minute walk drops my BG. If I'm going to walk I reduce my insulin for the meal before. Is she on mixed or basal/bolus? If mixed you need to give her something with carbs to entice her to eat it! If its basal/bolus then ask the lunch dose to be reduced

4. Traceylh

Traceylh · Active Member

Thank you I will speak to my diabetic nurse tomorrow

5. LizG

LizG Parent · Active Member

Does she have a pump or is she injecting? My son has a pump so it's simple to change the carb to insulin ratios for lunchtime so he doesn't go low. Before, when he did injections, I could look at the school menu and give him an idea of how much to inject depending on if he thought the meal was yummy (he'd eat a lot) or yucky ( not very much). Sounds vague but eventually he learnt to judge his own insulin dosage. He was 8 at the time, 9 now.

6. CambridgeLass

CambridgeLass · Well-Known Member

Hi Tracey,
    We have different rates for school & weekend/holiday time. At school my daughter is more active with play times & PE and she so her lunchtime dose is lower than if we were at home.

7. Traceylh

Traceylh · Active Member

We have just decreased her lunch time insulin from 4 to 3.5 and hasn't had any lows for the past few days but now her tea time readings are 14!!!!!
    Will I ever get the hang of it it is driving me mad

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook