"Hi" - from Brian (64)

Brianm

Dislikes
Winter and dark evenings/mornings (SAD)
Hello all.

I've had T2 (diet controlled) for over 10 years and have just come out of hospital after an unplanned 5 day stay. My BG was 35!! and rising. I was drinking and peeing for Scotland.

I am now on 2 x Metformin 500 mg per day and have managed to get BG down to single figures.

My exercise is limited due to Rheumatoid Arthritis but I cope; my 2 Yorkshire Terrorist dogs see to that!

I eat the right food but portion control has always been a problem for me - working on it. Any recommendations for a mid AM/PM snack? How about oatcakes - love them

Good luck to all. :wink:
Brian

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Brian
I don't have carbs in my snacks, so I would have a handful of almonds. OR if I have some, a handful of Macadamias.
Hana

Brianm

Dislikes
Hi Hanadr,

Thanks for your advice - I'll give it a try.

As a recently retired Group Worker with Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland, and noticing you are a stroke survivor - Well done you! I had 7 years as a communications group worker and am still in awe of all the group members.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Brianm said:
Hello all.

I've had T2 (diet controlled) for over 10 years and have just come out of hospital after an unplanned 5 day stay. My BG was 35!! and rising. I was drinking and peeing for Scotland.

I am now on 2 x Metformin 500 mg per day and have managed to get BG down to single figures.

My exercise is limited due to Rheumatoid Arthritis but I cope; my 2 Yorkshire Terrorist dogs see to that!

I eat the right food but portion control has always been a problem for me - working on it. Any recommendations for a mid AM/PM snack? How about oatcakes - love them

Good luck to all. :wink:
Brian

Welcome Brian,

The snack issue depends on how many carbs you intend to eat in a day, and whether or not it will effect your blood glucose control. I think the scottish oatcakes I tried are around 5g of carbs, that's the small wafer thin ones. A couple of these with a thin slice of cheese or ham shouldn't do much harm, but remember to test afterwards to see what effect it has on your bg.

And by the way, I love your sig at the bottom of your posts. :D

Nigel

Brianm

Dislikes
Nigel,
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Much appreciated.Brian

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. :)

Hope you are feeling much better. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Brianm said:
Nigel,
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Much appreciated.Brian

Thank you Brianm! :)

Nigel

Brianm

Dislikes
Many thanks for the warm welcome Synonym.

Just read your profile - we have some things in common. I can strongly recommend the CHSS group(s) in South West Scotland.

Best Regards

Brian

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello again Brian. :)

I haven’t really come across anything to do with CHSS but it could be because I haven’t known to look for them.

Yes, we probably have some things in common although I think I can top you with one husband, two kids, a smashing daughter in law, three grandsons, a cat and eight hens, lots of hungry (but well fed) wild birds in the garden and visiting hedgehog, otter and five moorhens! I wouldn’t want you to think I was competitive mind you. :roll: :lol:

Beeyootiful day today, spring is definitely coming with summer not far behind which ought to be a good one after the winter we have all had! :D

Brianm

Dislikes
You Win! - by a long shot. These are the important things in life which seem to come more into focus with the arrival of spring.

If you want more information on CHSS, try www.chss.org.uk. The local coordinator is Sandra Galligan - and she is brilliant'. 8)

Take care,

Brian