High Morning Results

Donna73

Dislikes
Too much rain
Hello, I've not long been diagnosed but I am having high results when I got up in the morning, usually over 9, the rest of the day it goes down. I usually just have a cup of tea with sweetners before bed. Does any one else have this problem? Its so frustrating I have cut my carbs to a minimum and cut out all sugary foods. Thanks D x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Your high morning results could be due to the dawn phenomenon which is where your liver will dump glucose into your bloodstream to help you start the day, so your level goes higher. Sometimes a small carby snack at bedtime can help to stop or slow that down.

Here is a link to give you more information about it:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/A ... henomenon/

Grazer

Morning readings are the slowest of all to come down, so don't worry about them. There's not much you can do, so I hardly ever bother taking them. Unless you have unlimited strips, or money, it's probably better using them to take readings 2 hours after eating to see what you can and can't eat. As a note, I DID find that if I ate and drank nothing from 2 hours before bed on, I got better morning readings. An endo told me that as a T2 on diet only, I probably "flat lined" dring the nght, so what i went to bed with I woke up with (other than Dawn phenomenon) Works for me, although I know some on certain medication regimes find a small carby snack at night helps. Try both, test, and see! Then you've done your best, so concentrate on the post-meal stuff.
Good luck.

Grazer

Donna73 said:
Great thank you, might try a snack tonight. :)
Ok, good, then the next day draw a cut-off two hours before bed and have nothing. Compare the results. Do it twice in case of odd results. You then know what is best for you, so just keep doing it

Donna73

Dislikes
Too much rain
Had a small peanut butter snack before bed and my morning results were 7.4, hmmm interesting! I will do nothing to eat for two hours before tonight and repeat the process over the next couple of nights. ;)