• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Home Baked Bread - Lowering the GI Even More

SweetHeart

Well-Known Member
Messages
511
I bake bread at home for MH. I'm trying to add something that will make it much lower G.I.

We use a Lidl bread mix that is 49g carbs per 100g. The bag makes two loaves from a kilo so 490g carbs, minus 104g fibre = 386g carbs. To this I add 150g H&B Omega seed mix which has 44.4g carbs minus 22.2g fibre = 22.2g carbs

Bread carbs + seed carbs = 408g carbs

408g carbs divided into 32 slices = 12.7g carbs per slice. (if I've worked it out correctly)

Any ideas as to what can I add to make it even lower GI?

Ju
 
You couldn't sub the almond flour for the bread mix flour - you'd just get a cake-like texture and a completely different flavour. MH tolerates the two slices of bread he has for breakfast and it doesn't affect his BG levels ( I know others would get big spikes) so I don't want to deprive him of 'proper' bread.

I know that it can be made lower on the GI depending on what he ate with the bread - for instance buttered with a slice of ham and some salad or cheese.

I had heard that wheat germ or bran or psyllium husks would lower GI but they are all high carb.

Ju
 
Although the almond flour on its own would give a cake type mix maybe, could you mix some with the Lidl bread mix? I ask because I tried using carbquick for pizza bases as its really low in carbs (they say 90% lower than normal flour) I got great BGs, but my pizza was like a sponge! So next time I used about 70% carbquick and 30% flour; still got good BGs and consistency was good. Soaybe a blend would work for your bread?
 
Ju, are psyllium husks massively high is fibre? I ask because I was reading about people using it to regulate their bowels. I bought some to use to make Oopsies, and now I`m looking for a way to use it up.

OMG. Oopsies sounds like big runny poo. It isn`t, its a rubbish substitute for bread :oops:
 
Jules I make bread with flaxseed, it looks and tastes like bread. I have some in the freezer now. I get flaxseed from Sainsbury's. It's 1.7g carbs per 100g.
 
We use a Lidl bread mix that is 49g carbs per 100g. The bag makes two loaves from a kilo so 490g carbs, minus 104g fibre = 386g carbs. To this I add 150g H&B Omega seed mix which has 44.4g carbs minus 22.2g fibre = 22.2g carb

Sweetheart, sorry but I think possibly that there may be a problem with your calculations
check the labels of your mixes.
If they have European labels then you don't deduct the fibre as that has already been done.
Here's what you might find on a UK label

Nutrition Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy - kcal
Protein -
Carbohydrate - this is the carb amount, no arithmetic required!
of which sugars
Fat -
of which saturates
of which monosaturates
of which polyunsaturates
Fibre -
Sodium -
As you can see the fibre is not listed as a carb as it's already been deducted so the carb figure is the effective amount of carbs.

If it were a US label then it would be like this:
Amount per serving
Calories
Total Fat
saturated fat
Cholesterol
Sodium
Total Carbohydrate
dietary fiber
sugars

Protein

The fibre is included with the total carbs and could be deducted. You only occasionally come across US labels in the UK (obviously on imported goods or those made for sale in more than one market; I found one on a French bar of chocolate recently so it does happen)
 
Well, that would account for a lot Phoenix. I've contacted Lidl to make sure. However, that will really put the kybosh on bread for MH unless I can find something to replace it, like Defren's flaxseed bread or something to go into mine to lower the GI.

Dang.....

Ju
 
SweetHeart said:
Well, that would account for a lot Phoenix. I've contacted Lidl to make sure. However, that will really put the kybosh on bread for MH unless I can find something to replace it, like Defren's flaxseed bread or something to go into mine to lower the GI.

Dang.....
It works out at 16.7 carb per slice (about the same as normal bread) The GI may be lower because of the seeds.
I did a bit of googling,. There are a lot of Soy linseed bread recipes online (you'd have to calculate the carbs)
I found that Lakeland has mix, this has 39g carb per 100g ;but this is for the dry mix, obviously water would lower this. (edit the mix is 600g and makes a 1kg loaf so if you just add water then it would work out at 23g carb per 10g)
 
Hi Ju/Sweetheart, have you evbreader tried the bread from the NZ website? Its close to 'real' bread, we have it all the time.
The recipe is in the low carb recipes section, but here is the link for speed, incidentally I have started to divide that folder into sub sections, so far I am on page 16, hopefully I can finish the job by next week.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.p ... &Itemid=56

LSA = equal quantities of Linseed Sunflower seed and Almonds finely ground, in NZ they sell it in supermarkets, but if you have a grinder you can easily make your own
 
Jo, just baked a flaxseed loaf for lunch - does your recipe have eggs in it? This one had five and tasted very eggy to me, however MH liked it with paté..... Guess mine would be ok for strangled eggs on toast!

Phoenix, I wonder if the Lidl took the water into consideration? Their kilo of dried mix uses 750ml of water. I had no idea that water would lower the GI - learn something new every day!

WJ, I shall try that next although I will have to make my own LSA flour.
Ju
 
SweetHeart said:
Jo, just baked a flaxseed loaf for lunch - does your recipe have eggs in it? This one had five and tasted very eggy to me, however MH liked it with paté..... Guess mine would be ok for strangled eggs on toast!

Phoenix, I wonder if the Lidl took the water into consideration? Their kilo of dried mix uses 750ml of water. I had no idea that water would lower the GI - learn something new every day!

WJ, I shall try that next although I will have to make my own LSA flour.
Ju


Yes it does Jules, and it has 5. Perhaps you could up the other liquid you use (I use melted butter) and reduce the eggs to 4? I love it, but no one else here does.
 
Water doesn't lower GI , nor unfortunately carbs but water adds weight and we calculate per 100g.
If you have a dry mix that weighs 60g containing 30g of carbs The mix contains 50% carbs (50g per 100g)
You then add water and after cooking your bread weighs 100g. It is still has the same 30g carb. The bread contains 30g per 100g. (you can compare that with the amount on a loaf of wrapped bread, the carbs per gram of dry mix wouldn't be the comparable)
Presumably you actually add more than 400g of water to the mix as quite a bit would would be lost in cooking.

I wish I could draw a picture; much easier than words! :lol:
 
Sheesh...I feel so thick! I'm not stupid, honestly, I'm not - but I do feel it :oops:

Should I really be contemplating the OU in my current state of advanced brain rot? :crazy:

Ju
 
phoenix said:
Water doesn't lower GI , nor unfortunately carbs but water adds weight and we calculate per 100g.
If you have a dry mix that weighs 60g containing 30g of carbs The mix contains 50% carbs (50g per 100g)
You then add water and after cooking your bread weighs 100g. It is still has the same 30g carb. The bread contains 30g per 100g. (you can compare that with the amount on a loaf of wrapped bread, the carbs per gram of dry mix wouldn't be the comparable)
Presumably you actually add more than 400g of water to the mix as quite a bit would would be lost in cooking.

I wish I could draw a picture; much easier than words! :lol:

My recipe is for a half a cup of water?
 
Defren said:
phoenix said:
Water doesn't lower GI , nor unfortunately carbs but water adds weight and we calculate per 100g.
If you have a dry mix that weighs 60g containing 30g of carbs The mix contains 50% carbs (50g per 100g)
You then add water and after cooking your bread weighs 100g. It is still has the same 30g carb. The bread contains 30g per 100g. (you can compare that with the amount on a loaf of wrapped bread, the carbs per gram of dry mix wouldn't be the comparable)
Presumably you actually add more than 400g of water to the mix as quite a bit would would be lost in cooking.

I wish I could draw a picture; much easier than words! :lol:

My recipe is for a half a cup of water?

This is getting overcomplicated, sorry. (hypos don't help either)
Think of adding a spoonful of sugar to a glass of water
The spoon of sugar by itself is 100% carb , it weighs 5g and has 5g of carb.
Add it to a glass of water it becomes a much smaller percentage of the whole
However it's still the same amount of sugar.


If you just want to know how many carbs in a slice of your bread when cooked.
Add up the carbs in the ingredients. Your loaf contains that amount of carbs: say 120g
Weigh your loaf
(say 500g)
Weigh your slice of bread
( say 40g, )
divide the weight of the slice by the weight of the bread to find how much of the loaf you are eating.
40/500 g = 0.08 (8%) of the loaf.
Multiply that by the amount of carbs in the loaf .
0.08 x 120= 9.6g the amount of carbs in your slice.

(weight of slice divided by weight of loaf ) multiplied by total carbs .
I want a crossed finger smilie!
 
phoenix said:
Defren said:
phoenix said:
Water doesn't lower GI , nor unfortunately carbs but water adds weight and we calculate per 100g.
If you have a dry mix that weighs 60g containing 30g of carbs The mix contains 50% carbs (50g per 100g)
You then add water and after cooking your bread weighs 100g. It is still has the same 30g carb. The bread contains 30g per 100g. (you can compare that with the amount on a loaf of wrapped bread, the carbs per gram of dry mix wouldn't be the comparable)
Presumably you actually add more than 400g of water to the mix as quite a bit would would be lost in cooking.

I wish I could draw a picture; much easier than words! :lol:

My recipe is for a half a cup of water?

This is getting overcomplicated, sorry. (hypos don't help either)
Think of adding a spoonful of sugar to a glass of water
The spoon of sugar by itself is 100% carb , it weighs 5g and has 5g of carb.
Add it to a glass of water it becomes a much smaller percentage of the whole
However it's still the same amount of sugar.


If you just want to know how many carbs in a slice of your bread when cooked.
Add up the carbs in the ingredients. Your loaf contains that amount of carbs: say 120g
Weigh your loaf
(say 500g)
Weigh your slice of bread
( say 40g, )
divide the weight of the slice by the weight of the bread to find how much of the loaf you are eating.
40/500 g = 0.08 (8%) of the loaf.
Multiply that by the amount of carbs in the loaf .
0.08 x 120= 9.6g the amount of carbs in your slice.

(weight of slice divided by weight of loaf ) multiplied by total carbs .
I want a crossed finger smilie!


My loaf if cut into 12 thick slices each slice has less than 1 gram of effective carbohydrate, 5 grams fibre, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
 
Back
Top