Homemade low-carb vanilla ice-cream

noramaria

I get cravings for ice-cream and I can't deny them any longer. Any of you have recipies I can make wwithout ice-cream maker?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I hope someone comes up with one - I've cleared space in my freezer in anticipation.

Regards

Doug

WhitbyJet

noramaria - I am sending you a link, hope its permitted, this vanilla ice cream is my very favourite, you can vary the flavour, leave out the vanilla, add cocoapowder or chopped/pureed berries, anything you like, it always turns out right.

I make mine with Zsweet usually, it works with Splenda too, just replace the sugar with your preferred choice of sweetener.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vanillaicecream_4616

Hope this helps, this recipe doesnt need to be stirred every half hour, you dont get those annoying ice crystal bits that you normally get when making ice cream without a machine.

Reactions: lorraine95

WhitbyJet

Some more ice cream recipes, all of them low carb:

STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM

ingredients:
300 g strawberries or other berries
3 cups cream
3 eggs
sweetener of your choice
vanilla powder/extract/essence or pod

Beat eggs, sweetener and vanilla until fluffy, mix in the cream and berries (lighly mashed).

Ice Cream Maker: prepare the bowls by placing them into the freezer. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and stir for about 15-20 minutes. Serve in cold bowls.

Or without an icecream maker place the ice cream in the freezer and whisk it every half hour to break up the ice crystals. Let it freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1135

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COCONUT ICE CREAM WITH LIME MARINATED STRAWBERRIES
ingredients:
3 egg yolks
200-250 g coconut milk
2.5 dl cream
1 cup coconut flakes
3 tablespoons sweetener of your choice

Lime Marinade and Strawberry
250 g strawberries, fresh or frozen.
1 x lime, zest and juice

Place a bowl/ice cream container in the freezer and serving bowls in the fridge.
Mix coconut milk with coconut flakes, egg yolks and sweetener in a saucepan, stirring constantly simmer gentlt, must NOT boil. When it has thickened a bit, take the pan from the heat and let it cool.
Add the cream and pour in the cream.
Slice the strawberries in half, grate rind off 1 lime, squeeze out the juice. Sprinkle zest and juice over strawberries and stir gently, leave to marinade in the fridge until the ice cream is ready.

Ice Cream Maker
Pour the ice cream mix into the chilled bow and stir for about 15-20 minutes. Serve with lime marinated strawberries in well-chilled bowls.

Without the ice cream maker
Add the ice cream into prepared ice cold bowl and freeze for 4 hours stirring every 30 minutes to break up ice crystals.stir about every 30 minutes during 4 hours. Serve with lime marinated strawberries in well-chilled bowls.

Tip: If you want a completely smooth ice cream leave out the coconut flakes.
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1163

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAVENDER ICE CREAM
ingredients:
7sprigs of Lavender flowers (+ a few blueberries for color)
3 cups cream
2 cups full fat Greek Yoghurt
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sweetener of your choice
optional: chopped raw chocolate

Boil the cream, lavender flowers and blueberries in a saucepan for about few minutes, strain the flowers and blueberries.
Beat the egg yolks and sweetener
Pour egg and cream into a saucepan, add the Turkish yogurt and simmer, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly BUT DONT let it boil.
Take it off the heat and let it cool.

Ice Cream Maker:
Place bowl into the freezer and put serving bowls in the fridge. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and stir slowly for 15 - 20 mins.

Without ice cream maker
Freeze at least for 4 hours and stirthe ice cream every half hour.

Enjoy ice cream as it is, or grate over some raw chocolate.

Tip: be careful with lavender flowers so that you dont end with a soap / perfume taste to it.Dont use too many flowers, I have made this rather elegant dessert in winter using dried lavender sprigs, only use 2, definitely no more but its up to you.
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1215

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MOCCA CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
ingredients:
6 cups cream
3 egg yolks
sweetener
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
20-30 g of chopped chocolate (high cocoa content)

Beat the yolks with sweetener, whisk on the instant coffee powder, whisk for a moment so that it dissolves a little. Dont worry if the granules are not all dissolving they add a little bit of 'crispy punch' to the ice cream. Add the finely chopped cocolate, it doesnt matter if some chocolate bits are a bit bigger than the others.
Ice Cream Maker
Pour mix into the prepared ice cream maker and stir slowly for about 15 minutes. Pour into bowl or ice cream container and store in the freezer or serve immediately. Set in the freezer or eat immediately. t

Without ice cream maker
Pour the mixture into a bowl and freeze for 4 hours, stirring it every half hour.

Serve ice cream decorated with a little finely chopped chocolate and if you are really want to spoil yourself a big dollop of whipped cream.
Hey and all this is low carb, all those yummy foods we are allowed to eat!
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1138
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VANILLA ICE CREAM WITH RHUBARB COMPOTE
ingredients:
6 cups cream
3 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod
3 tablespoons sweetener

rhubarb compote
400g rhubarb
3 tablespoons sweetener
1 cup water or 1 cup dry white wine or my favourite which is sugarfree gingerbeer!

Make rhubarb compote
Wash, peel and slice the rhubarb into 2 cm pieces.
Mix sweetener with water, wine or ginger beer, pour into pan, add rhubarb pieces, simmer for about 2 or 3 minutes, stirring gently, take it off the heat, let it cool.

Make the ice cream

In a pan mix the cream, sweetener, the vanilla (slit open the pod scrape it out), add the scraped out pods too. Simmer for for a few minutes, then let it cool slightly.
Whisk yolks and add some of the cooled cream, mix well. Remove the vanilla pods.
Add remaining cream and bring the whole mixture to a slight simmer, stirring constantly until thickened.

Ice Cream Maker:
Place a storage container or bowl in the freezer , put serving bowls in the fridge. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and stir slowly for 15-20 minutes. Pour into storage container in the freezer or serve immediately.

In the freezer:
let the ice cream freeze for at least 4 hours and stir it every half hour.

Serve the ice cream with the cooled rhubarb compote,

Tip: The compote works great as jam on a toasted slice white bread http://mariannslchf.se/?p=95

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1185

Anyone want the bread recipe, please let me know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOGHURT ICE CREAM

ingredients:
250 gr mascarpone cheese
2 cups whipping cream (UNBEATEN)
1 teaspoon organic vanilla powder (NOT sugar!), or essence/extract or pod
about 200 gr optional berries (I took raspberry and blueberry)
optional sweetener, if you have a very sweet tooth

Whisk mascarpone, cream and vanilla to a smooth paste.
Add any berries you want, frozen or fresh, does not matter, except that you may have to whip a little more if the berries are frozen.
Whisk together so that the mixture is as desired. Some want the berries mashed, some doint, its really up to you.

If you have ice cream machine, then used it as per instructions that come with the machine.
I spooned the mixture into colourful plastic cups, wrapped a small freezer bag around each and put in the freezer.
The ice cream is a bit hard and icy and you need to thaw it a bit longer before serving than regular ice cream, but tastes just as good.
If you want to, you can add different flavours, coffee or chocolate or whatever.

This mixture is also excellent to use as filling for cakes, or just to eat as a snack or breakfast (unfrozen of course).
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1221
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grazer

This is one I make using Crusha no-added-sugar Strawberry syrup (from sainsburys) Works really well.
Don't have to have an ice cream maker.
mix two egg YOLKS with 10 teaspoons canderel (or similar) POWDER until you get a yellow gooey mix. To separate the yolks from the whites, just crack the eggs into your hands and let the white run out between your fingers. (Doesn't work if you break the egg yolk when you crack the egg!)

Add 250 mlls milk (full cream, low fat, doesn't matter) and 60mls of the strawberry crusha to the yellow goo and mix up to get a pink mixture.

In a separate bowl, beat (whisk) 150mls of double cream until it starts to go stiff - not solid, just so you get little peaks when you lift the cream a bit.

Add the pink stuff to the cream, and mix it all up. If you have an ice cream maker, put it in. If not, put the bowl in the freezer and take it out to stir REGULARLY (every 15 mins?) until it sets to the right consistency. (NOT totally frozen)

At this stage, I take it out and put it into about 6 little separate bowls (ramekins), cover them in clingfilm and then foil, and put in freezer to keep.

When you want one, take it out and stand it in the fridge for about 30 mins before eating to let it soften a little.

Sounds complicated, but the whole process with the mixtures only takes about ten mins when you're used to it.

Each ice cream is about 1.7 grams carbs