hoping to work

martina

Hi everyone,my daughter has had a combo pump for the past five months.Since she got it her school have been good in the way that they will check her blood and give her the boluses etc.However If her sugar goes too high or they think there is a problem with the pump they call me to school.This hasnt been a problem as I dont work.However I am hoping to find myself a job and was just wondering how other people manage with working and taking care of a child with diabetes?Do the school have to take on the care of the pump,due to their duty of care for my child? I do find myself at the school quite often.

wsmum

Hello Martina. My son (14) has had T1 for 8 months and another chronic condition (lymphoedema in his legs) all his life. I became self employed when he was 4 and have been grateful many times over the years that I could just drop everything when I needed to, but things have been much steader in recent months, even with the T1! He is on MDI and his secondary school did ring me quite a lot in the early days to check things, and I did go in a couple of times too. But it wasn't all that often and they were quite proactive which helped everyone's confidence. Do you think the pump technology worries the school staff? Maybe if your DN came into school and gave them all a training course they'd be more prepared to sort out problems, perhaps just phoning you rather than expecting you to come in? Since September my son has been a weekly boarder which has really freed me up so I could probably change the way I work now if I needed to. They are extremely good at getting in touch if there's a problem, but so far they haven't required me to go to the school, which is an hour and a half away. The biggest problem is getting medical appointments at convenient times, and we've had loads of them recently ... during the half term, William had lymphoedema clinic, MRI scan, diabetic clinic, retinopathy screening, and flu jab!! I definitely would have needed a week off for that lot, lol. I think I would start with building the school's confidence about what they can do, as it sounds like they're relying on you being there all the time. Good luck.