Hospital choice

scottishkate

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here we go and sorry if it's not.

Quick intro to myself: I'm Katie, 26 and been type one for 18 years. I live in Edinburgh and I've been offered a fantastic job in London which I'm keen to accept. But I just wonered if anyone could answer a few questions about how things work down south with regars to diabetic care. Particularly if it is possible to choose the hospital (regardless of where you live in) at which you see a consultant? Also, as I currently have a place on a waiting list for a pump in edinburgh (which I'll have to give up should I move) I'm hoping that I'll get on another list in London - does anyone have any ideas as to waiting list times down there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - having diabetes makes this move just that bit more complicated (and dare I day it scary?!).

Many Thanks,

Katie.

martinbuchan

there is generally less money in the nhs in London and less consultant led. your new gp will be in a position to advise.

I have been thru to see Dr M Young in Embra for my foot problem - great set up there in RIE your leaving. The docs at Kings get a good name (also for diabetic feet as it happens). I wan't diagnosed when working in London. Hopefully the London based forum members could recomend.

scottishkate

Thanks for the info everyone. Sarah, thanks for the heads up: I have been in touch with Mr Davies at input who has recommended I get referred to Prof Pickup at Guy's hospital so that's what i'm going to try and do as soon as I move down there. Fingers crossed - I really really want this pump.

Martin, I was an outpatient at the Western General and although I wouldn't say that the consultants and nurses were unhelpful, they certainly weren't forthcoming with information /advice/support when I needed it. Glad you had a better experience at the Royal Infirmary though : )

Katie.

martinbuchan

Good luck

Well, I work in the west coast (Greenock). Although I am from Aberdeenshire, there is a east/west divide in attitude. The system was bent to suit me as I am a consultant surgeon- so I am not a good example.

All the best in London. I loved Londoners- but there are just so few of them. One good thing is that you meet every culture going - great for trying out food from every corner. In my 7 years there I never tried pie and mash. Had loveley Korean in New Malden though.