How did you react when you were first diagnosed?

Finzi

I'm very newly diagnosed (Jan 11th 2013) so I'm probably still on a bit of a roller coaster at the minute. On the positive side, I started low carbing straight away and within 24 hours started to feel so well and energetic,and I have lost about 5kg in weight so far. I was mostly upset because it felt like T2 was a real stigma (I'm 43 and very overweight). That was the main thing I minded. And because of that, came a huge determination that I was NOT going to be "someone with diabetes" I was going to manage and control it the best I could. I think my worry now is that it might get harder when the novelty wears off or the weight loss slows down.

If your husband is going to low carb (and I would really urge him to try, just from my experience, and the research) then do make sure you check labels carefully - some really unexpected things can be higher in carbs than you would think (eg I was shocked at how high fruit was, but some fruits are better than others). I have also started using unsweetened but calcium fortified soya milk - it's just a fraction of the carbs in milk. I keep my carbs down to no more than 50mg per day now, although for the first few days I did 100mg til I got used to it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Broken

Hi Guys,

My first post. Been feeling unwell, sleeping a lot and zero energy, went to the doctor for a chest infection and blood tests. Nurse decided to make extra tests, that was the morning of Friday 18th Jan. At home with my wife watching TV laying out feeling really drained then the phone rang, it was someone from the blood testing lab telling me I have to go back to the doctor first thing on Monday (tomorrow) ASAP. She sounded very concerned and told me to look up T2 on an NHS website, she also told me my my level was at 25 and very high. Further instructions for the wife to watch me in case of me collapsing...!!!

Talk about shocked. :problem:

Guess I'll find out tomorrow, hopefully can diet and control it if I am confirmed. Actually slightly relieved as this will explain unwellness with the hopes of getting better. I have been taking a lot of time from my work and my business is suffering too.