How many blood tests

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve recently had blood test for diabetes and they done glucose and hbac1 .

Glucose 13
Hbac1 52

The receptionist at doctors said I need to another hbac1 because sugar levels can change, bear in mind i only had the first one done on Wednesday, I’ve done another one yesterday, no results yet.

My question is I thought hbac1 determines sugar levels over 3 months,
What difference will 2 days make?

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Glucose 13
Hbac1 52

The receptionist at doctors said I need to another hbac1 because sugar levels can change, bear in mind i only had the first one done on Wednesday, I’ve done another one yesterday, no results yet.

Wasn’t sure how to edited, those bloods I did were fasting bloods.
My symptoms have been going on for long time now..
I’m worrying because I have 3 blackout spells.
What treatment will I get? I have diverticulitis, and I have heard metaformin can cause bad stomach,
Which I could really do without.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Glucose 13
Hbac1 52

The NICE guidelines are to take two HbA1c tests to diagnose T2 diabetes:
"If the person is asymptomatic, do not diagnose diabetes on the basis of a single abnormal HbA1c or plasma glucose result."

So they will do another one. 52 isn't really high, mine was higher at diagnosis and I wasn't put on medication. Instead I got a phone appointment with a dietician who I now know was fairly clued up.

Hopefully you don't have any symptoms at present.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
"If the person is asymptomatic, do not diagnose diabetes on the basis of a single abnormal HbA1c or plasma glucose result."

So they will do another one. 52 isn't really high, mine was higher at diagnosis and I wasn't put on medication. Instead I got a phone appointment with a dietician who I now know was fairly clued up.

Thats wierd I only had one test and then they went hell bent on pushing meds.

Reactions: Nikki365

Nikki365

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I do have lots of symptoms, that’s why I went to doctors.. been feeling awful with all typical symptoms.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What treatment will I get? I have diverticulitis, and I have heard metaformin can cause bad stomach,
Many of us self manage (if its Type 2) just by modifying what we eat and perhaps increasing activity. We find this has a far greater effect than metformin.
Read the signatures under people's post to see their own journeys

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Diverticular disease as well, normal metformin was a problem as it caused gas and bloating, although even the wife gave me pass on the farting! slow release has been no problem at all. If you have a problem with Metformin ask for slow release.
An Hba1c of 52 is considered borderline, so a repeat test at 3 months, will confirm or cancel a diagnosis. had you been well over 52, then they would diagnose without the follow up test.
If you cut out any grains, ie wheat, corn and oats, i think you will find your diverticular disease will improve. Go low carb, and you should be able to basically forget it, i haven't had a proper flare up in 4 years.
It's one of those silly complaints, you have Diverticula, weakened bulging bowel walls, undiagnosed it is diverticulosis, though if not diagnosed how would you know. when it flares up, it's called diverticulitis. and when it's doing nothing, it's diverticular disease.