• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

How often should you check ketones?

Diabetes8

Member
Messages
15
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I know you should always check your ketone Levels if you're BG is above 13.9, however apart from that when else should you be checking them?

Thanks
 
There isn't really a need to check them when you are in a normal range and eating a non-ketogenic diet.
 
I know you should always check your ketone Levels if you're BG is above 13.9, however apart from that when else should you be checking them?
Ketones will only potentially be elevated when blood sugar is over 13.3 for an extended period (hours, versus a spike). So there's no need to check at all unless blood sugar is too high.
 
I also check sometimes when I'm ill, but generally only when my BS is 13 or above.

@TheBigNewt You could talk to your doctor about getting strips or a meter to test ketones.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn More.…