How to bolus for pizza - advice needed!!

Vikki2

Hi
My 5 yr old has had her pump since last August and all is going great. This Sunday we are meeting friends out for pizza. Last time she had pizza we just didn't get it right. We set a dual bolus: 50% of insulin straight away and then the other 50% 1 hr later. 2 hrs after eating her level was great but then the following hours she just rose and rose. What do you do when eating pizza? Should we put on a temporary basal also? Would love to hear your experiences
Thank you
X

becki

hi

I had pizza this week too and the same happened, so will be watching your post for the same advice!

Good luck x

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I also tried pizza yesterday and had the same problem, so i'm bumping this up so we can all get a good answer :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We've had pizza once since my 9 year old daughter has been on the pump. We didn't get ideal readings but they were okay and gave us a starting point. Remember everyone is different so you may not experience the same effect but here are her readings for information, maybe it will be helpful:

7pm - BG reading of 5.0 mmol/L. Pizza with a glass of fresh orange juice. Insulin split 35% 65%. The 35% was delivered immediately, the remaining 65% being delivered over 3 hours.

8pm - BG reading 6.8 mmol/L

9pm - BG reading 8.4 mmol/L

10pm - BG reading 6.5 mmol/L

11pm - BG reading 8.8 mmol/L - BG correction

1.30am - BG reading 12.0 mmol/L - BG correction plus +10% temp basal set for 4 hours

3am - BG reading 9.0 mmol/L - BG correction

5am - BG reading 8.0 mmol/L - BG correction

7.30am - BG reading 4.7 mmol/L

Rest of the day her readings were back to normal.

I know from past experience that pasta and pizza send her reading up high long after she's eaten, like 6+ hours until about 10 hours later. Next time we try pizza I'll do a similar extended bolus but after about 3-4 hours I'll set another temporary basal to last maybe 5-6 hours at about +20%.