How to manage paella ?

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, i avoid rice usually as its not worth the problems it throws up BUT im desperate to get my chops into a huge dollop of paella when im on holls next week !! So how would you tackle it ? Im thinking splitting bolus or maybe just injecting after eating .... dont know how to start on this one really as the paella rice is pretty stodgy . Any thoughts out there would be welcome . Thankyou

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, i avoid rice usually as its not worth the problems it throws up BUT im desperate to get my chops into a huge dollop of paella when im on holls next week !! So how would you tackle it ? Im thinking splitting bolus or maybe just injecting after eating .... dont know how to start on this one really as the paella rice is pretty stodgy . Any thoughts out there would be welcome . Thankyou
Depends on a few things - how active will you be, how hot will you be, your readings beforehand etc... what fast acting insulin do you use? I'm on Novorapid, and with that i'd check my sugars before and only inject before the meal if they were high. Otherwise i'd inject 30mins after. But that's me.
When you say rice causes problems, i assume this means high bgs?

If you're going somewhere hot and with a change of routine i'd also suggest reducing background insulin by 1u :)

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on a few things - how active will you be, how hot will you be, your readings beforehand etc... what fast acting insulin do you use? I'm on Novorapid, and with that i'd check my sugars before and only inject before the meal if they were high. Otherwise i'd inject 30mins after. But that's me.
When you say rice causes problems, i assume this means high bgs?

If you're going somewhere hot and with a change of routine i'd also suggest reducing background insulin by 1u :)
Hi Shannon thanks for this...i always reduce my background a bit when we are away , we tend to walk alot etc 1 unit usually does it.
Rice is more difficult for me in terms of a high 4 hrs later ( i have mastered pizza sort of )!...i reckon ill dose the slovo after eating maybe split it like 4 u half hour after and 4 2 hrs after it might not have a great outcome but i wont hypo i guess . The paella better be good !!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure it will be delicious! Obvs check before food, be wary of alcohol, but don't feel like you have to avoid! I'm guessing that the presence of paella means Spain or a Spanish country... RIOJAAAAAA
4hrs later is a long time for a carb based high, so i'd recommend testing and injecting about 60-90mins after your food so the insulin will kick in to catch your high :)
You are on holiday, so don't feel discouraged if you have a few ups and downs at first. It's not your normal routine so it may take a few days to get settled. Hope you have a lovely time :)

Reactions: annliggins

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Paella hmmmmmm any room for one more?
If it was me then I would be injecting a third before the meal, next third and hour in and the final third an hour later. I am on an insulin pump now so I would work out the carbs (as close as possible) and set a square wave bolus over 3 hours (square wave dribbles the set amount of insulin over the set amount of time).
Good luck with it. Don't let it stress you out, If you are hi/lo after it then pretty easy to sort out
More importantly have an amazing holiday :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I too like Paella, but haven't had it for quite a while now, I would split my dose in two, 20 mins before then as soon as I eat.
Happy Holiday's @annliggins :)