how two conversation about the same result give you a different feeling

ROE100

Had a call from the hospital consultant today to go through my test results which were done after the appoint as I attened a late cancellation appointment - I actually already knew the results as a GP nurse called me about some things (and she was very pleased with the HBA1C result) last week.

He said you've reduce your reading 'slighlty' down to 47 from 53 - not any well done just a slighlty (From his tone he didn't seem impressed with a 47 number). Reported all the other result as no issues, cealiac (i know I've spelt it wrong), thyroid, kidneys, protein all good nothing wrong. But you must come get the keto test machine as you must test for ketones. When I had the actual consultation he was surprise I've never had one and I need one straight away. I did explain I have never got close to feeling unwell thinking I must do a ketone test but if you think I need one I'll have one. Clearly Ketone testing is the subject he likes. So from a 47 result we continued to talk about ketone testing. Please note I do understand it is important thing to have so that is why I will now have one.

So while the GP nurse I spoke to was well impressed with my 47 reading and made me feel great but on the other hand the same result converation with the consultant who wasn't impressed with my slight reduction into the 40s and didn't make me feel great. I have decided to ignore the consultant conversation and stick with the nurse on this one.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm very surprised he wasn't happy with a result of 47. I've always been told to aim for 48 or below as a general rule of thumb. Personally, I'd be very happy going from 53 to 47, As long as you aren't having too many hypos which is bringing that average down then I don't see any issues.

In terms of a ketone machine tester, I would agree with him in that regard, although you haven't felt unwell it is always good to have one on hand to test with just in case your blood sugar goes above 14 for any unexplained reason or if you have an infection, feeling/being sick but blood sugars are normal. Never quite know when ketones can sneak up on you.