How would you handle this? Work colleagues taking the mick!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: How would you handle this? Work colleagues taking the mi

A lot depends on how far you want to take things. This behaviour is bullying and if you want to, it's illegal and the office must have a bullying policy. you could act on it in that way. It could however produce a lot of ill feeling. It might be more pleasant to retaliate in similar vein. If you hear the chocolate eater, just shout out how many calories there are in a bar of chocolate. Even if this person is "model slim" no-one likes their calorie count [or fat count] publicised. then offer to do a deal. If she shuts up so will you.
No-one can complain and some will definitely support you.
Hana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: How would you handle this? Work colleagues taking the mi

I have thought of another one. Do a finger test so that everyone can see what you are doing and then go and rummage in their chocolate box. They probably won't offer again.

Reactions: 4 people

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have also encountered the clever type of colleagues who think its amusing to take the **** out of certain conditions. Just look at them dead in the eye and explain away their ignorance. They will be more than likely looking down at their feet by the time you have finished. And probobly wont want to be shown up again in the workplace.

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an HR advisor, I'm shocked but not surprised. Luckily I work in the nhs where we do things properly but still manage sickness. Normally we adjust our sick triggers from 4 episodes to 6 for long term conditions.

I tend to use accrued time for doctor/ nurse appointments. And will myself need a gynae operation and carpel tunnel treatment on both hands so my sick record will be under scrutiny at some stage in the next year.

All of your stories are bullying and harassment it certainly makes some of the cases I've dealt with seem trivial in comparison. However even ward managers say but nurse x is always off or wanting to alter start times, my response is ......and (no sympathy from me) .... if your flexible with them they will appreciate it and help you when you're understaffed.

Definitely join a union and do speak to HR if you have someone.

Good luck all