hubby's levels

blythlass

saw this site and joined because i need some help for my hubby.on friday we were away with the caravan and his pen ran out,took a phial out of the box and used that,but we think this was at least 2 months old and had not been in the fridge.his levels started to climb and when you consider he always runs at between 5 and 6 when it hit 17.5 he was feeling rubbish.went to the local a=e where they gave him some new insulin but they said that 17.5 is nothing to worry about,since then his levels have been running at about 10 which is worrying him,he's been diabetic for ten years and never had any problems before and he just wants to get things back to normal(for him)has anyone used old insulin(mixtard 30) before and had any problems like this,are there other reasons his levels could have gone up,and will things settle down again.he asked the diabetic nurse and she said everythings okay his levels are not what they class as high but what he cant get through to them is that its high for him and it worries him.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Always keep unused insulin in the fridge and only take out when using in the pen device. The A&E were wrong to say 17.5 was nothing to worry about, and pleased your hubby had the good sense to ignore this advice and reduced his levels with the new insulin.

Obviously with the original insulin not being stored correctly would have deteriorated the insulin as such where it was either useless or ineffective in bringing down his bg, but still averaging 10 with the new insulin may mean he is coming down with something such as a cold etc. Hopefully in the next few days his bg will fall again to more normal levels, just keep checking regular.

Nigel

sugar2

Hope his tum gets better soon!

I actually think that A+E were right, in some ways...one reading of 17.5 is nothing to worry about IF you know about it, treat it i with insulin and get it back down to acceptable levels.

Tummy bugs always raise my BG, and I have to raise my insulin by about 20% or so.

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
I cna vouch for that, i've had a stomach ache for a few days and my BGs are mental!!

Today, im normal.

Hope he is better now :)

blythlass

levels are coming down now did'nt realise how hard it is to be diabetic.never apprecited how good hubby is with his levels and diet etc ,take my hat off to all of you. thanks for the comments it helps when you know other people want to help.