Hypo to Hyper

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So yesterday evening the libre was showing as 3.0 and on checking with my meter my sugar was 3.8, but I felt okay.
As I was going to bed shortly after I had 1 Jelly baby and once my sugar was showing as 4.5 and seemed okay, I had 1 digestive biscuit.
Before going to bed my sugars seemed stable at 6.1 and hadn’t changed much in half an hour so off I went to bed.
I woke up this Morning to my Libre showing a reading of 16.2 and my meter showing 15.4.
The libre overnight seems to have shot up from 11pm onwards and I can just see an upwards trend.
Is this normal, or should I do something different in future, or is it likely my Basal is running out overnight as I take it every morning.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this normal, or should I do something different in future, or is it likely my Basal is running out overnight as I take it every morning.
What numbers do you usually see overnight? Was this a one off or do you usually rise?
The way you treated your hypo sounds pretty much perfect to me, ending up at 6.1 with a stable line.

What basel do you take?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 38 units of Lantus each morning around 8am.
Having looked back on previous graphs, there are some nights that my sugars start increasing from 1am whilst I’m asleep, then they have a sharp increase around 5am before I wake usually around 7am. Readings when I wake vary between 8 to 14, but I also have some better nights where I remain stable at around 7 to 8 all night, with the sharp increase around 5am and waking up to maybe 11.
As I walk the dog first thing before eating, my sugars then tend to drop a bit.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So you do see a pattern where you often rise during the night, an especially the last hours before taking your basal.
But you don't usually see nearly as dramatic a rise as today.

I would count today as a one off, can't adjust things based on a single odd diabetes day.

The sharp increase at around 5 looks like a pattern to me though, and you may well be on to something with your suspicion that your Lantus is running out at that time.
Many people found themselves more stable with taking their Lantus as a split dose morning and night. Or by taking their Lantus in the evening so they are awake when it starts to taper off and they can adjust the dose of quick acting insulin for their evening meal to cover the time their Lantus wears off.
I switched to Tresiba, which is longer acting and more stable for most, but it's also has the downside of not being easily adjusted for extra active days or sick days, it takes about 3 days for a dose change to take effect.

It can also be that you're not looking at the Lantus wearing off but at Dawn Phenomenon, or perhaps a bit of both at the same time.