Hypos as a side effect from sertraline help!!

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi.

I have been prescribed antu depressants in the form of setraline. I have noticed hypos in the two days i have been on them. I have spoke to my dn and she said to reduce lantus from 27 to 25... as I reduced it yesterday from 30 to 27.. I am eating meals and still having lows even though im not taking any fast acting. Anyone else been through this? Dr said v rare and to either try to persevere or try another medicine. Just wondering if it will subside or if it has consistency. Really panicking and worried im going to be low and hypoing....:( feeli g rather stressed xx

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Sertraline sorry spelt it wrong!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd do as the Dr suggested and keep cutting and eating glucose/food for lows..and a fatty protein supper for overnight... till you start to level out. I'd even set the alarm for 3am
if you don't like the drug and the way you feel in a month or so..ask your Dr about duloxetine, it's also good for any neuropathy pain

Reactions: 2 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Sorry to ask, why a fatty protein supper just not that clever!

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Do you think they will level out? Worried its going to be random...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think they will level out? Worried its going to be random...
I'm T2 so it's only something to think about..they say fat and protein take longer to digest and will last over night better than a simple carb..google diabetic pizza effect

I'm on duloxetine and think it shouldn't be random..serotonin is also in gut cells, so I would guess it's just settling in..messing with hormones and such, the initial side effects can last upto a month
hopefully some T1 on AD will drop in and say what they think.

Reactions: 3 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m on sertraline and type2. i have never had a hypo

C

catherinecherub

Hi @lcarter,

If I read your post right and you have only been on sertraline for 2 days then I doubt that there is enough in your system for it to be working but if you are concerned then I suggest you speak to your G.P. and try another anti-depressant. It really is trial and error getting one that suits you and maybe your anxiety about taking this medication is causing low blood sugars.

Silvermagic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eggs!!!!!!!!!
There are hundreds of different antidepressants available, but with all of them, there is a period of adjustment where your body has to get used to them. Usually its best to start with a lower dose and gradually build up until you have the result you are hoping for.

I can't get on with sertraline, but an older one, amitryptilene, works well for me and reduces pain. The important thing is to stay in close contact with the medical person who is managing your diabetes. There is no one drug that is right for everyone and they want you to feel well as much as you do. Most surgeries offer phone consultations these days so you don't really have to go to the surgery very often. Keeping the lines of communication open is probably the best advice.

Good luck.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Thankyou. My sugars have been stable this afternoon and fingers crossed its not anything to do with my tablets.

I did speak to the gp who had not really heard of this as a side effect and said I could try another but I would rather see what happens over a few days just incase I can manage it.

I have reduced my lantus so hopefully I can manage it. Surely it won't make my levels crash constantly. X

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took some antidepressants many years ago and after two days I had a very bad hypo during the night - landed up calling an ambulance. I did not have diabetes at the time but did suffer from reactive hypoglycaemia. You can have hypos without being on diabetic medication. I have had readings from paramedics that confirm this.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Oh no!!! Im worrying now..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Don't panic as anyone can have a night-time hypo whether they take anti-depressants or not, just do as your DSN has directed and reduce your basal dose until your bg levels stabilise.

It might also be worth discussing with your DSN whether you should go to bed on slighter higher bg levels than you normally would, so as to prevent a night-time hypo, but testing for a couple of nights should give you some indication on how your bg levels behave when your sleep.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on antidepressants years ago. Started on citalopram but that made my depression worse (common side effect of it) so was moved onto sertraline. This worked wonders for my depression and has a very good track record generally, especially in people with anxiety too. However I did suffer from lower blood sugar and hypos in the early stages. I found taking it first thing better as less overnight effects and with breakfast but if you are sensitive to it you will need to adjust insulin. Not just your background one either but fast acting too. It is worth it though and I would recommend sertraline to anyone. Good luck :)

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Thats really positive. Thank you. I am reducing my insulin. Did your sugars stabilise?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes they did but it was trial and error and I ended up on a permanent lower dose of insulin whilst on the tablets. I started on the lowest antidepressant dose and a bit later had to increase and started having hypos again. So be careful if they alter your dose. Also I had higher sugars as I came off them. I was on them about a year and then very slowly came off with no side effects other than tweaking insulin again to curb increasing BG. You may get some diarrhoea with them in the first 2 weeks as well. This is very normal and goes away as your body adjusts. Worth having some immodium in just in case. I didn't have this but a friend did and my GP warned me it can happen.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Ah ok..I am already experiencing those side effects! I have lowered my lantus and eased off the fast acting. Im on 50mg a day which I take in the morning. I want to persevere with them I just dont want erratic bgs. Thanks so much x

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Well my levels dropped by 7mml last night luckily I had them running higher and they didnt drop dangerously low but after eve meal I took 1 unit of insulin for 60g of carbs..levels were 18 but went down to 11 in two hours..then I have woke up this morning with 9.1. I know this is still high but I can't afford to have them lower atm with them dropping randomly. I reduced my lantus on tues eve from 30 units at night to 27. Then last night reduced it to 24. (As dn said to) its hard because I know lantus can take a few days to notice a change and it seems I desperately need it lower. I seem to feel a bit shaky too snd concious of my heart beat which is like a hypo so thats not helping. Will call gp again today but it doesnt look good does it?!

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry, I didn't mean to alarm you. Please bear in mind that I wasn't diabetic at the time and didn't understand what was going on. You are monitoring the situation and have a better understanding of hypos and how to deal with them. The reason that I posted is because I found it frustrating that doctors will sometimes deny side-effects and make you feel like you are imagining it and I wanted you to know that you were not the only one this happened to.