hypos

Kellyboo boo

Hi guys does anyone have any ideas my 22 month son has been dyagnosed for about 3 months now but over the last 4 days we have been having at least 2 hypos per day. We haven't done anything different and he is semi eating well with reasonably amounts of carbs. He is on novarapid 2 2 1.5 and 2 levermir this hasn't changed for the past 3 weeks? X

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Kelly,
I would suspect your son is going through what is known as the honeymoon stage. IE, his pancreas is having a few splutters whilst it gets to the last stage of conking out altogether. You need to ring his care team regarding actions to take in reducing his insulin.

Kellyboo boo

Hi
thought it could be this just didn't want to ignore the situation as there has to be a reason why x x thanks for that x he's loving his coke at the moment ha ha x

emmamadi

Hi! My son is 3 and was diagnosed last June at 2 and a half. My son ( jac) also has always suffered a lot of hypos and hypers. He went through the honeymoon stage for about 4 months ish where insulin doses would be so random and never make sense to us :crazy: but since then he has settled into more of a ratio at breakfast and dinner times of carbs to insulin. BUT he still has 2 hypos a day at least! I don't know if it is down to their age, or little bodies, or just plain cra**y 8) but that's how it is for him as well. If he misses his 10 gram mid morning or mid afternoon snack then he hypos. Jac is getting a pump on the 30th of this month and I'm hoping once we settle into it it will help him feel a bit better.
Good luck with your little man!
Emma and Jac :wave:

Kellyboo boo

Hi Emma and jac
its good to hear from another that had someone diagnosed so young it makes you fell my son Oliver isn't alone. I know he isn't but you know what I mean. I'm not worried as such just looking for reassurance. Its just his levels have been semi leveling off good until these last 4 days. I will talk to his nurse on Tuesday but I'm sure things will be ok. I was thinkin about a pump when he gets abit older just don't know much about it at the moment but my boyfriend is keen as he feels it may cause 'issues' with out children. Another thing id like to ask as jac is young, does he go to pre-school? I know Oliver has longer to go but I'm worry they won't want him and they won't look after him properly Xx
Kelly and Oliver x

emmamadi

Hi again! Jac has been diagnosed since last June at aged 2. I just feel that now I would really like to help him get better levels and a little more stable. I'm thinking that the pump mimics a pancreas better than injections are able to in that it puts in insulin every 3 minutes in tiny amounts rather than the few injections a day. I'm hoping it will work well but we will have to wait and see how it goes! I could let you know how he deals with it if you would be interested.
Jac does go to play school for 2 hours 3 times a week. Initially they were not keen on having him, but now he has been there 6 months they seem to be a bit happier with him. They check his finger half way through and ring me with the result, and I either advise what food to give him, or go to him if he needs insulin. He is due to start proper per school in September and this seems to be more of an issue for the school. Again they are very reluctant to commit to any responsibility for him with is very frustrating for us. We are in the process of trying to get one to one care for him at school to help with his medical needs, but I'd that's not successful then i will just have to keep fighting for him so that he gets the care and education he deserves! The worry that you have of them not looking after our children is very true for me as well!
Hope some of that helps!
Emma