If one more person says.....

emmamadi

Hi! I have a 2 year old son with type 1 diabetes. This is kind of a mini rant so Im sorry in advance! I have lost count over the last few weeks since his diagnosis how many time people (without diabetes) say " He's diabetic? Oh well he looks healthy so that cant be hard to deal with" Well, I suppose if you dont count the testing all the time, injections for him to deal with, night testing, and the poor thing have to go through many hypos then yes, its a breeze :roll: ! Have also had " oh, my son is diabetic because he eats too much sweets. Is that your sons problem too?" Noooooooooo! Its not his fault! Grrrrr, I guess a taster of things to come! I think Im going to have to give him some smart answers to come back with as he gets older. Oh one other thing, "wow, he has 6 injections a day? He must be a bad diabetic" Someone bring me a brick wall to bang my head against!
Sorry for the rant, has anyone else been here???
Emma and Jac

emmamadi

Thanks for that link, made me laugh! Posted it to my facebook page just in case anyone else on there wanted to add any other comments!

serankine

Leah was diagnosed november last year. For christmas my aunty gave her a big box of fruit jellies (covered in sugar) she thought they were ok since they were fruit Jellies. We gave her 3 then put the reat in her hypo box but its so hard trying to explain to people she can have sweets just at the right times. If Leah can understand thats all that matters.
:?:
Then her nan said to Leah 'Heres some money since you cant have sweets anymore'

I have started giving then the book from JDRF about diabetes.

lol your post made me smile! my little girl was diagnosed at 10 months and is now 4 so she answers them back now!
Ive had, will she grow out of it?
cant you control it with her food?
will she get better?
they just make me laugh now!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Yep, I've had the "will he grow out of it" and people thinking that he wouldn't be allowed to eat any sugar.... EVER I can't say I let it get to me and if I have time I might clue them up a bit. I've also had someone thinking I was using an Epipen for some allergy and they were nearly ready to call an ambulance.

Hey, I was blissfully unaware of the difficulties of keeping blood sugars in range before Khaleb. I somewhat thought that if people took their insulin, tested their blood and ate a healthy diet all would be well. lol

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can so relate to this. i'm studying a levels and have just written an English course work piece about things like this.. nobody realises the difference between type one and two diabetes. i blame the media! countless times i've read articles and seen tv programs claiming that obese people are at risk of diabetes. TYPE TWO goddammit! and so many times i get 'Lois, should you really be eating that?' if i am, then of course i should be! being diabetic doesn't mean that i can't eat anything containing an ounce of sugar for the rest of my life.. i don't blame them at all for this but sometimes i just think the general public needs a little bit of education about diabetes. any offers to take this on? ;) good luck with your little boy, just teach him witty answers.. haha :lol: