• Total voters

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
I am noticing increases in my sugar readings especially 2 hours after food,i have only just started carb counting and taking insulin to ratio 1 - 10 but they still seam to be going up even when taking extra unit or 2 to bring it down anyone no why this could be happening

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am noticing increases in my sugar readings especially 2 hours after food,i have only just started carb counting and taking insulin to ratio 1 - 10 but they still seam to be going up even when taking extra unit or 2 to bring it down anyone no why this could be happening
Hi @Job76 , and welcome to the forum!
The 1 to 10 ratio is simply a starting point from which to work out your personal ratio. Some of us need as little as 1 unit for 20 grams of carbs, others need 1 unit for 2 grams of carbs.

To make things even more complicated, many of us have different ratio's throughout the day. For instance, I need over twice as much insulin for the same food in the morning than I need in the evening.

Take your time learning, it's a marathon, not a sprint!
Do you have regular contact with your diabetes nurse to speak of how food and insulin affect your blood sugar and how you could tweak your doses?

Good luck!

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
Hi @Job76 , and welcome to the forum!
The 1 to 10 ratio is simply a starting point from which to work out your personal ratio. Some of us need as little as 1 unit for 20 grams of carbs, others need 1 unit for 2 grams of carbs.

To make things even more complicated, many of us have different ratio's throughout the day. For instance, I need over twice as much insulin for the same food in the morning than I need in the evening.

Take your time learning, it's a marathon, not a sprint!
Do you have regular contact with your diabetes nurse to speak of how food and insulin affect your blood sugar and how you could tweak your doses?

Good luck!

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
Thanks for your reply,yes I’m in contact with her over the phone,I’ve been diabetic 16 years and these last 3 weeks have been the worse I’ve ever had looking back on my dosage for same food I’m eating now was a lot less and readings perfect then,now I’m upping dosage and readings barely dropping sometimes going bit higher going to ring her this week now,THANKYOU

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Take your time to get it right! Great you can speak to your consultant about it :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen it referred to as Novosluggish. I take it 15 or 20 minutes before I eat.