Insulin & Hypos swing

suellen

Hi can you help with insulin problems? I have recently dropped levemir pm & am by 1 unit to reduce hypos, then by bgs were high all over the place so advised to raise levemir am & pm by 1 unit to bring down.
Now I am back to hypos in the night and pre lunch & pre tea. Seems like if I raise by 1 I am hypo all the time but if I lower by 1 unit I am high all the time. What would you advise I do next ? My advice has come from nurses at the hospital I have been type 1 for over 30 years.
Feel like giving up cos there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason :roll: Help

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
See if you can get a novopen junior, it can increase or decrease insulin dose by half a unit.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looks like your meal-time ratios could be to blame here (if you are sure your levemir is set at the correct dose) and you are injecting too much quick acting insulin to cover the carbs in your food, why not reduce your insulin ratio per 10g of carbs and see if this resolves your hypo's, remember to test your bg and record your results including carbs eaten and insulin given.

Nigel

suellen

Thx Nigel, do you know I have been so fixated on changing the Levemir havent really given much thought to ratio of Novarapid. worth a thought. Its such a delicate balancing act isnt it :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
suellen said:
Thx Nigel, do you know I have been so fixated on changing the Levemir havent really given much thought to ratio of Novarapid. worth a thought. Its such a delicate balancing act isnt it :shock:

To be honest I would also look at the basal insulin normally as pre-mealtime low's would point to this, but as you are sure this isn't the case then it could well be the quick acting. Novorapid is said to be active up to 4 and possibly 5 hours after injecting, so depending on the time scale you leave between meals then this could be a possibility. You haven't increased your physical exercise/activities of late have you?

Nigel