Insulin pump and weight gain?

Unicornz

Hi guys

I just wanted to ask whether any of you had experienced weight gain when you went onto pumps? I've had mine for half a year now and in that time I have gained about 1.5 stone!!!

The only reason I can think of is perhaps the better control I have with the pump enabling my body to use the food better?

Other than that I started to walk to work every morning a few months ago. That's a 40 minute walk (well stride really) up a very steep hill - and I walk down at night as well! That must be burning at least 400 calories a day.

I think I have a healthy and varied diet. I hardly snack in between meals and I have a homecooked meal with lots of fresh vegetables and chicken every night of the week. Actually, I once did a calculation on my daily calorie intake and it was only around 1500! That's even not considering the ones I burn walking to work.

In short: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I KEEP GAINING WEIGHT! I'm getting really really desperate, and the only thing left I can think of is that it must have something to do with better control. So, did anyone else gain weight when they went on the pump? If so, PLEASE tell me it stops soon! :cry:

jopar

Looking at your HbA1c the weight gain probably is due to better control, 1.5 stone sounds a lot but you do have to factor in your actual weight compared to your height, is this in range or not..

As pre-pump days you may have been under your natural weight, so what's happened is your body has returned to it's natural weight!

If this isn't so, perhaps a second look at your diet may be needed..

Unicornz

Thanks for the reply! My BMI before the pump was 20, now it's 22.9 - so both in range of a healthy weight for my height. I have always been quite skinny (got that from my mum's side of the family) so I'd have thought that the 'before' weight would have been my natural weight.

There is one other time in my life when I have gained this amount of weight - and that's after I was diagnosed and started on insulin. The same thing happened then, but after a while the two stone of weight I had gained disappeared again without a diet or anything and I went back to my 'before' weight.

Either way - I'm making an appointment with my Dietitian on Monday to talk her through my diet to see if she can spot anything! Thanks for the advice :)