Insulin Pump For 9yr Old Daughter

tracyryman

can anybody advise? Mu daughter is 9 years old and has been diagnosed since feb 2010. Her doctors are constantly changing her insulin. She was currently on Nova Rapid 3 X day and leximir at teatime. However, this seems to have cut out her hypos in the day time, but she has to goto bed at least 20. LASt night she went to bed and at 11pm her levels were 18.9 at 7.15am her level was 4.1. Spoke to diabetic nurse today now splitting levimir up to 6 units morning 2 at night. However, this now involves 5 injections a day and mu daughter is already having enough on having them. Spoke to them about insulin pump and they said that there is a lot involved and wheter or not she would be committed enough. Can any one advise what is involved in having an insulin pump?

Thanks

Ollie B

Hi im ollie i was diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm hoping to go onto an insulin pump. It takes alot of time and effort and there is a coarse you need to take. I would personally recomend having a look yourself at the different insulin pumps there are and see what you think about each one personally. I'm 13 and it is quite complicated. She will also need to learn to count the carbohydrate in her food then to balance it with the insulin she needs. If you think the insulin pump is the right thing for your daughter tell your doctor about it. I like the idea of an insulin pump and the usage is painless. They are great and i think are better than injections. She will apply a small needle every 2-3 days. It is painless and quick. I would recommend it as an item if you and your daughter are prepared to put the work in.

If you have anymore quires just ask.
I hope whatever you choose will work out great.

From Ollie B

annettekp

Hi

My wee boy is 2 and he was diagnosed in Feb this year too. He's on 2 injections of Levemir and novorapid at mealtimes.

He was meant to get a pump this month but the funding didn't come through. We were looking forward to the flexibility that the pump would offer as regards to eating. Also we get big swings in blood sugar through out the day and the pump would make it easier to control this. You have to carb count really carefully, even more accurately than you do with novorapid.

Nurse advised today that we need to do correction injections if his blood sugar goes high so that means on a bad day more than 5 injections.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you more accurate advice than I can.

Annette

GLF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi - I would definitely go for a pump. I just got myself one after 26 years of injecting. BUT i had to pay myself. all in all it is around £3k a year after you have bought the pump - another £1200. but my god what a difference it has made to my quality of life and control. I would certainly not hesitate if one of my children got diabetes. mine is an omnipod by Ypsomed - they have a web site. I stick it on and click a button and in goes the cannula, once every three days it si the easiest to use on the market. no tubes at all just sticks on your skin. tell your daughter one of the Jonas brothers has one!! but seriously I got this pump and a CGM and now control is easy and accurate. they can deliver tiny doses and store food carbs so you dont have to calculate too much once you have put info in to the hand held control. IT IS SO EASY please look in to it your daughter will really appreciate it i'm sure. if money is a problem then pester your NHS but they wont fund an omnipod but maybe some other pump

ginx

Hi, I see I'm replying a year after the last comment. My daughter was diagnosed Sept 2010 age 8. In March we got a pump. We had been controlling quite well with injections and now, three months with the pump, we don't seem to be controlling as well. But there's no doubt it is easier. No more injections! But I think it's important to remember with a pump, the canula has to be changed every two to three days and that was painful ... until we discovered Emla (numbing cream) and it's fine now. My daughter can eat anything and give herself insulin very discreetly as she eats. We were told she can now eat "anything" but I'm ruling out chewy sweets and lollies. She is much, much happier. I just feel slightly disillusioned about her levels. On the whole though, I'd definitely recommend one ... good luck (if you haven't already got one!) We;re wondering now if diabetes can make girls enter puberty earlier than expected ???

EloiseMum

ginx said:
We;re wondering now if diabetes can make girls enter puberty earlier than expected ???

Oh can this happen with diabetes? as my daughter is 10 diagnosed Sept 2010 and she had started her periods and puberty was a shock as she only tiny in weight and hight

serankine

hi i dont know if u have decided yet,

My 5 year old has started a pump we had it on trial for 2-3 weeks first to see how we got on.
My daughter loves it and wudnt have it any other way.
She was diagnosed november 2010 started on 2 injections then moved to mdi nove rapid and levemir (but she was high she was more than 0.5 unit but less than 1.) The pump has really helped we are in the accu combi chek. we have got it suited for her

7 - 11am on 0-9 units, 11-2pm 0.5 units, 2-6pm 0.7 units

It is hard work but if Leah likes it and makes her feel more 'normal' then worth it when at oarties she can sit at the table withthe othersand i can buzz her insulin to her so she doesnt miss out. Before wealways ahd to find somewhere quite to do her insulin. She can now have an odd ice cream out with out having to have an extra injection. We have just been told we have got funding for it. :D