is there such a thing ???

lauren_gee_x

Hi guys

was wondering if anyone could help me :(
I love rice/pasta but feel that even a small portion has millions of carbs which as yous know means loads of insulin at the moment i dont feel comfortable or confident enough to be injecting 40 odd units for a curry. so i was wondering does anyone know if theres such a thing as low carb rice or pasta ?

If there isnt im seriously considering stopping the 4 injections a day and reverting back to two as i cant cope with not being able to eat a reasonable amount of rice

Thanks in advance :d xx

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

How much insulin do you inject for 10g of carb? 40 units is alot for one meal!

I often weigh out a portion of pasta and feel sort of robbed because it seems so small.

You say you don't feel confident injecting alot of insulin, have you tried splitting it into two injections? pasta and rice often have slow absorption rates (especially combined with curry and fatty sauces) so you find it may be beneficial for you to split the injections to combat a rise in BG later on anyway?

It's totally your choice which insulin regime better suits you, but i wouldn't be so quick to return to two a day injections, personally for me i found it quite limiting and i found i was able to eat so much more varied meals with 4 a day instead of two.

I'm not sure if there is a low-carb rice or pasta, brown rice may be different, but i wouldn't think much difference and it definately takes an aquired taste too in my opinion!

I don't like to eat too many carbs in one meal as i find the more i have it makes it harder to control my BG, and also having more insulin can make me put on weight pretty fast too!

I usually try subsituting carbs with more meat or veg/salad that i like.

Also in regards to insulin amount, have you mentioned your large doses to your diabetes team? maybe a change in insulin could benefit you, there are many fast acting insulins that suit a wide range of people better than others, could be worth a shot.

Hope this helps a little :)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use cauliflower. Sounds weird I know but it mops up a low-carb curry very nicely.
Cook as usual and use a ricr to shred.

I use half a large cauliflower and 5oz of potato boiled and mashed together to make a really good low carb mash too. Add butter, balsamic vinegar and/or cheese as you wish. My family say it tastes just the same as 'normal' mash and its great for shepherd pies etc.

lauren_gee_x

hi thanks but ive made the descision that im going back to the two a day i feel so restricted on the 4 so it seems to be the better potion for me thanks anyway :D xx