I've been very, very,, very stupid.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just hope you'll be able to get through to the other end of this without vaping overmuch. Not the best thing for lungs, really, but you already know that, I guess.

When I quit smoking in '04, I had to do something else to keep my hands and brain occupied. I ended up picking up a camera. I'll shoot anything and everything. (Just shot a mushroom on the way to the shops. Would've been more if it wasn't raining. I can stand it, but my camera, alas, can't.). Find some replacement that's not in some way detrimental to your health. Might be a bit of a search, but there's bound to be something, somewhere!
I quit smoking in 2013. Sounds weird now, but I LOVED smoking - the whole process of it, unwrapping a new pack, the fact some habitual cigarettes were "rewards", the time out talking to people on smoking breaks - everything about it. It was the first thing I did after waking and the last thing I did before bed.

When my wife got pregnant with our first child, I quit in the July. I didn't hold out much hope, I'd tried to quit about a thousand times previously, despite loving it. I've had more last cigarettes than hot dinners in my lifetime! However, spending £200-300 a month when I had a child to drain my bank accounts didn't seem right, plus I didn't want to smell of smoke while holding him. I tried everything from gum, to patches, to inhalers, to cold turkey previously - nothing worked and every time I caved to cravings. I tried vaping on that last attempt at quitting and it worked. I vaped for 2 years, dialled down the nicotine levels in the liquid from the end of year 1, and eventually just stopped. Within a few weeks of quitting cigarettes, my blood pressure improved a lot, as did a number of other health aspects. Some of these continued to improve for months after too (cough, amount I got ill, etc).

Anyway, my point here is that yes, vaping isn't good for you. It's not 100% safe. However, it's about harm reduction. It's a lot better than smoking, so if it's a choice between one or the other, vaping is the way to go. As a means of quitting, it's the only one that ever worked for me.

Ironically, I quit in July 2013. I celebrated my 10 year non-smoking anniversary with a type 2 diabetes diagnosis in July 2023. As celebration events go, I wouldn't recommend it, it's a 1 star review so far! :)

Last edited:

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Margarettt Watch out for low carb or sugar free mints as they often contain artificial sweeteners that give you wind and worse!!!!!
Thanks Tony, warning heeded but I think suddenly removing the 50 odd sugar free lozenges with added nicotine my problems are more likely to be the opposite !!!

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Margaret, what do these lozenges actually contain? If they are listed as zero calories, I'm wondering if the carbs are actually polyols and thereby indigestible, thereby not really counted in the total?
Hi @AndBreathe
Here's what I could find. I know its says carbs 1.6 but other googles say 1.8 for what its worth.

Each Nicotinell Mint 1 mg Lozenge contains 10 mg aspartame (E951), a source of phenylalanine equivalent to 5 mg/dose and may be harmful for people with phenylketonuria. - patients may experience a mild laxative effect. Calorific value 2.3 kcal/g maltitol.

It contains approximately 1.6 grams carbohydrate per lozenge.

Nicotinell Mint 1 mg lozenge contains 1 mg nicotine (as nicotine bitartrate dihydrate). Also contains maltitol (E965), aspartame (E951) and sodium (9.8 mg per lozenge).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Margaret, what do these lozenges actually contain? If they are listed as zero calories, I'm wondering if the carbs are actually polyols and thereby indigestible, thereby not really counted in the total?
I’d add that this isn’t strictly the case. Some polyols are at least partly digested and some do indeed cause a blood glucose Polyols are not all the same.

I for instance get as big a spike from maltitol as I do from sugar as well as the digestive effects. It’s not the only one that does this to me. Whereas erythritol doesnt change the meter at all. I am not alone either, it’s well documented.

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpeg
    IMG_3249.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 56

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d add that this isn’t strictly the case. Some polyols are at least partly digested and some do indeed cause a blood glucose Polyols are not all the same.

I for instance get as big a spike from maltitol as I do from sugar as well as the digestive effects. It’s not the only one that does this to me. Whereas erythritol doesnt change the meter at all. I am not alone either, it’s well documented.
My very limited experience reflects this too.

Maltitol causes my BG to increase, whereas aspartame and erythritol don't seem to. I've also read that maltitol is one of the "partially digested" group of sweeteners, whereas aspartame, erythritol and Stevia (not an exhaustive list) aren't digested.

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS and Margarettt

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I quit smoking in '04, I had to do something else to keep my hands and brain occupied. I ended up picking up a camera. I'll shoot anything and everything. (Just shot a mushroom on the way to the shops. Would've been more if it wasn't raining. I can stand it, but my camera, alas, can't.). Find some replacement that's not in some way detrimental to your health. Might be a bit of a search, but there's bound to be something, somewhere!
Wise as ever @JoKalsbeek and I completely agree. When I gave up smoking 20yrs ago I was knitting, painting by numbers anything to keep my hands busy. The problem with giving up these wee lozenges is they fit nicely in your cheek and there is nothing they stop you from doing (showering, swimming,singing, mountain climbing) so its going to be a challenge but we are in day three without them already so onwards we go.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit smoking in 2013. Sounds weird now, but I LOVED smoking - the whole process of it, unwrapping a new pack, the fact some habitual cigarettes were "rewards", the time out talking to people on smoking breaks - everything about it. It was the first thing I did after waking and the last thing I did before bed.

When my wife got pregnant with our first child, I quit in the July. I didn't hold out much hope, I'd tried to quit about a thousand times previously, despite loving it. I've had more last cigarettes than hot dinners in my lifetime! However, spending £200-300 a month when I had a child to drain my bank accounts didn't seem right, plus I didn't want to smell of smoke while holding him.
@Paul_ I could have typed the above(minus the pregnant wife) When people asked me why I didn't stop I answered "because I enjoy it too much" I used to have 3 cigarettes for breakfast. But that was twenty years ago and I eventually stopped for babies and money.
Vapes weren't as available then and I got hooked first on nicotine chewing gum then (when I thought the gum was pulling fillings out my teeth) the lozenges. I have occasionally vaped over the years, when I have bad toothache is an example (are you seeing a theme with my poor sore teeth) but I've always been able to easily swap back to the lozenges and I've never ever been tempted to return to smoking.
For now, vaping makes sense it keeps the nicotine topped up and I haven't really needed/wanted a lozenge in a couple of days.
Its not a long term solution and it won't work next week when I am back at work but for now its the way to go.

• Optimistic
  • Friendly
Reactions: Paul_ and Antje77

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paul_ I could have typed the above(minus the pregnant wife) When people asked me why I didn't stop I answered "because I enjoy it too much" I used to have 3 cigarettes for breakfast. But that was twenty years ago and I eventually stopped for babies and money.
Vapes weren't as available then and I got hooked first on nicotine chewing gum then (when I thought the gum was pulling fillings out my teeth) the lozenges. I have occasionally vaped over the years, when I have bad toothache is an example (are you seeing a theme with my poor sore teeth) but I've always been able to easily swap back to the lozenges and I've never ever been tempted to return to smoking.
For now, vaping makes sense it keeps the nicotine topped up and I haven't really needed/wanted a lozenge in a couple of days.
Its not a long term solution and it won't work next week when I am back at work but for now its the way to go.
Since the day I quit cigarettes using vaping, I've only had one occasion where I was tempted by smoking. It was New Year 2018. I was drunk (very drunk), we had friends over, and one of them smoked. I had two drags, stubbed it out, and didn't enjoy it at all. Felt odd to not enjoy it, especially as I was drunk too, but that's my only flirtation with it since quitting.

As for long term solutions, sometimes it's just about getting through difficult periods and prioritising. Vaping isn't likely to harm you in the next 6 months. High blood glucose might. If nicotine helps with other things like appetite suppression and controlling food cravings, not to mention general mental health well-being, I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself. Better to stay on track with your diabetes management than try and change everything at once in my opinion. We all have our vices, life isn't much fun without any at all.

Reactions: Outlier and Antje77

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on what you vape, I’d argue it’s definitely not going to hurt you in the next 6 months.
I’m into my 7th year! I stress it’s old school vaping, not the current hideous disposable dodgy things.
My lungs have never felt better, I know exactly what’s in my juice as I make it myself. No carcogines. Doesn’t affect my BS at all and keeps me away from the evil tobacco.

Would I prefer not to vape ? Of course, but I am totally unable to give up nicotine. Been trying for 40 odd years. Tried everything from patches to a hypnotist.

Reactions: Paul_

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on what you vape, I’d argue it’s definitely not going to hurt you in the next 6 months.
I’m into my 7th year! I stress it’s old school vaping, not the current hideous disposable dodgy things.
My lungs have never felt better, I know exactly what’s in my juice as I make it myself. No carcogines. Doesn’t affect my BS at all and keeps me away from the evil tobacco.

Would I prefer not to vape ? Of course, but I am totally unable to give up nicotine. Been trying for 40 odd years. Tried everything from patches to a hypnotist.
@Kernow Debra I don't want to take the thread way off the diabetes topic but would you be okay with me giving you a wee private message to chat about this? I was literally just telling my husband that people make their own vapes and thinking that's the way to go, gradually reducing nicotine. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info out there and my kids are already teasing me about single use plastic with the disposable vapes.

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kernow Debra I don't want to take the thread way off the diabetes topic but would you be okay with me giving you a wee private message to chat about this? I was literally just telling my husband that people make their own vapes and thinking that's the way to go, gradually reducing nicotine. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info out there and my kids are already teasing me about single use plastic with the disposable vapes.
Yes of course. Anytime you like