Just got my results. Help - Please.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was invited as part of the NHS initiative to screen everyone between the ages of 40 and 74. Went to the appointment, nurse had difficulty assessing the urine strip test, asked me if I'd had an infection? Then did all the other tests. Did discuss that I was overweight, and made a follow up appointment with the usual nurse to get my results, and look at weight loss programme. Phonecall stating that I needed another bloodtest, but couldn't say why - incorporated into my follow up appointment.

Went to the appointment nurse explained why - my ?? (sorry not got the terms in my head sorted yet) was 48, they always do 2, to be sure, but went away with the 'eating well with diabetes' book - so have made some changes already. The next news was that I needed to make an appointment with the diabetic nurse. But again the receptionist couldn't tell me why - whether I had diabetes or pre-diabetes - this is so frustrating - either let the receptionist give the FULL information, or let someone with all the facts speak to the patient!!!! This was Wednesday - so I asked for a telephone appointment - that came at 3pm yesterday, when a Dr who I have never met went through my results in full. She was fantastic - giving me time to pull myself together, and ask what I needed to do.

My second test was 50, and my fasting test 7.6. My blood pressure is fine, my cholesterol levels are fine (my BMI is high - mid 40's), and I have never smoked. The Dr was positive that it was in it's early stages - I'm not displaying any symptoms, and that when I saw the diabetic nurse we should be able to get it under control - obviously I will have to see if has affected my kidney function etc - but it could be worse. But the Dr mentioned medication - I have looked on here, and read the books, and believe that it should be possible to try and control it by diet alone. I maybe worrying about nothing - the nurse may agree - but I just want to have the information at hand to put my case before her should she want me to go on medication.

My sister was diagnosed a few years ago - the medication gives her terrible bowel problems - she is retired, her diet was a good one anyway so she couldn't make many changes and she wasn't overweight. Her cholesterol is still fine, but her blood pressure is raised. My problem is I start a new job on Monday - they don't know me, don't know my work ethics, I am scared that I have to go in and tell them this - it's not like I could tell them earlier. And that with no accrued holidays, no sickness entitlement I am going to have to go to quite a few appointments/DESMOND within my probationary period - so the timing sucks! The last thing I need is to then have bowel problems.

Any help/advise would be appreciated - I don't know how much it will affect my work, so don't even know what to tell my new employers.

If you got this far - I appreciate you taking the time. Currently fluctuating between a 'pity party' for myself and thinking it could possibly be the best thing - a proper incentive to get my diet/weight under control.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Donna, welcome, and don't panic. The 48 and 50 will be what are called HbA1c values, which are a rough average of your blood sugar levels over the last 2-3 months. For non-diabetics this should be 42 or less, 43-47 is 'prediabetic' and 48 and above is diabetic, so your levels are only just into that range. It's great that your cholesterol and BP levels are sound too.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to manage this with diet and exercise alone - I have from a start point of 65 - although they may suggest metformin to help. But two essentials - cut down on carbs as well as sugars, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes are not good for diabetics despite what the DN might tell you; and get a test meter so you can check what different foods do to you.

It shouldn't affect your work at all, in fact controlling T2 should make you feel livelier.

But have a good read around, and ask any questions.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Donna and welcome!

Look on this diagnosis as a good thing - you are right to think it is a real incentive to change your lifestyle to a more healthy one before it is too late. You are "lucky" it has been caught early and you can get it all under control with a bit of an effort on your part.

Your results have arisen from an HbA1c test, and a score of 50 isn't drastic at all. The cut off point for a diagnosis is 48. I suggest you ask your surgery for a copy of the computer print outs of all your latest tests, HbA1c, kidney and liver functions, and cholesterol. You are entitled to these and will find them very useful for future comparisons.

As for medication, doctors differ, but with such a low HbA1c I would imagine they will allow you a 3 month trial period on diet and exercise, and if I were you, I would ask for this.

Next, I would discard the Eating Well with Diabetes book. I was given one of those and thought "yippee, I can still eat bread and potatoes". Sadly, the NHS hasn't yet caught up with what constitutes a good diet for Type 2's. Have a good browse round these forums to see what types of diets we are all following. The first thing you will notice is we all reduce our carbs, especially bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals as these convert to glucose once inside our system causing our blood sugars to rise. (and that includes the wholemeal varieties). We also need to be careful with fruit and milk as these also contain a lot of sugar.

Next, you need a home testing kit as this is the best tool we have to help us learn which foods our bodies can or can't cope with. Everyone has a different metabolism, and we all tolerate carbs to a greater or lesser degree, which is why you need to know what you can tolerate as none of us can tell you. I doubt very much your doctor/nurse will give you one. More likely they will tell you there is no need to test. That is rubbish. Most of us Type 2's buy our own. If and when you get a meter, let us know and we will help you with testing.

Stick around, ask as many questions as you wish, and good luck!

EDIT post crossed with @sanguine

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Donna and welcome

I will not repeat the excellent advice that you have already been given by earlier posters. I will just also state that I too believe that limiting carbs and testing as a means of educating yourself on how your levels respond to different foods are key to bringing this disease under control.

It is normal to experience strong emotions when first diagnosed, the full range of the various stages of grief in fact so be prepared for some emotional ups and downs.

Stay calm, read as much as you can and ask as many questions on this forum as you need to in order to be clear about what needs to be done.

You would not be the first one to consider their diabetes diagnosis as the wake up call they needed to turn their lifestyle round and adopt healthier habits.

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

ColinJ

I recently had my 6 month diabetic check up,my cholesterol and glucose were fine,my Dr contacted after a week and told me my urine contained a fairly high level of protein,I have to do another next week for another result, could this be connected with diabetes I am T2