Kombucha - good stuff

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi All,

As posted in another thread, I recently got into probiotics due to research on gut health and the micro-biome. My loose understanding of the theory is that some people (LADAs) become diabetics after a large dose of antibiotics triggers an auto-immune reaction where the t-cells go rogue and ****** up the pancreas. My thought is that if I can recover the damage done to my biota, perhaps it will allow my pancreas beta-cells to start producing the good stuff!

What's this got to do with Kombucha? It's a funky hippy drink that has a crazy amount of probiotics in it. Probiotics are what feed the good flora of your gut.

You create the drink by getting a piece of the scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast), combining it with warm tea, sugar and water and letting it brew. The scoby looks like a weird mushroom thing but it's a lovely little thing that creates a probiotic drink for very little expense. Don't worry about the sugar, the scoby eats this, consumes it, until there's ****** all there. 250 ml of drink is about 30 calories.

For ME, it's been good for getting rid of the arthritic pain I was beginning to experience (I'm 46) and reducing BS spikes. It's also been good for getting rid of thrush - yes, the probiotics will stop thrush from forming (for ME, I need to drink 500mls daily) !

I've been experimenting with taste. I began using black tea which made it vinegary and tart very quickly. I have since switched to using green tea which has a much more palatable flavour and takes longer to go sour. The longer you leave your 'brew' the more complex and tart it gets as more of the sugar is consumed.

I usually flavour the tea (called a second ferment) with a couple of sultanas or chunks of sugared ginger. It also means a fizzy drink I can have that is good for me, which I also like.

If this has piqued anyone's interest in trying Kombucha, google is your friend and it's even easier than making packet mix yoghurt at home.