1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

lantus insulin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by billbod50, May 5, 2014.

1. billbod50

billbod50 Type 1 · Member

hi every bod
    At the moment i am taking about 74units of lantus
    i have just bean to the lantus website and looked at a lantus calculater

252 Weight (lb) this my weight
    =
    = 110 to 114.5 kg × 0.2
    =
    22 Unitsa and this is what it says this is the starting dose as i think 74 units is a lot

any one got any advise
    thanks william

2. picklebean

picklebean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Lantus calculator says I should be on 15u but i take 45u at the moment. I was on 80+u a day until a couple of years ago. You can be T1 but also have insulin resistance, which results in needing higher doses of insulin. It's more common if you are overweight but there are medications like metformin, that can increase your sensitivity to insulin and that means you can lower your insulin dose.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rach77

Rach77 Type 2 · Member

I've looked at the calculator too, but it's for starting doses, not what you'll eventually need. You then titrate it to your needs. The calculator for me said 14 units, but at the moment I need 22 units.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook