Type 2 Levothyroxine Alternative

A

asparagusp

Simply I have been taking Levothyroxine for about six weeks in conjunction with other diabetic medications, namely, Metformin, Gliclazide and Insulin, and read last night that in fact it can raise blood sugar levels.

1) Is there an alternative drug to Levothhyroxine that doesn't cause this problem?
2) Might it help the blood sugar levels if I were to take it at bedtime (I understand it's more efficacious anyway.)

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone using thyroid medications.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not noticed Levo causing any BG rise for me, that said I was on it for years before I was diagnosed with T1 so it has always been the same.

When I have missed a dose due to running out of tablets again not noticed any change but it may well be different for others.

As far as I am aware there is not really an effective alternative to Levothyroxine.

A

asparagusp

Thank you Andy for your reply. I am Type 2. I only started Lantus three months ago and have been on Metformin and Gliclazide for 15 years and 5 years respectively. I still am.

Levothyroxine. is known to interact with Metformin, raising blood sugar. It's only now "kicking in" and my blood sugars although within normal range have gone up a couple of points in the last three days!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah ok so it is a Metformin interaction. Not sure what I could suggest there except that if you are seeing a noticeable rise then talk to your Dr / DSN and see if they can offer some other alternative that will not interact or at least interact less.