Liquid glucose

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've often wished that they'd sell gluco tabs in a liquid form. Until now I've used lucozade but even the smallest size bottle is a hassle to carry around and it's too much to treat a hypo so the rest goes to waste. Well today whilst looking for glucotabs on Amazon I notice they are selling a 60ml liquid glucose called glucojuice. Not sure how long that's been on the market, and maybe you all know about it already, but thought I'd mention it incase anyone else like me wasn't aware of it. I've orderd some and very happy to see it sold in a small bottle, should be the perfect size for treating hypos :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure this product (or similar) was shown on the DAFNE course I attended during 'Sick-Day rules' session where families are allowed to attend, by all accounts it's good stuff and very fast working but a little expensive from what I remember.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I 'acquired'a few samples at a running exhibition last year. They work well but I don't like the bulk weight for running but they have the advantage that you don't end up with a pocket full of glucose dust.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
phoenix said:
but they have the advantage that you don't end up with a pocket full of glucose dust.

been there :lol:

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They work out at £1.25 per bottle, but as we won't use them often I don't mind paying that for the convenience. We usually use the tablets but if the hypo is coming on quickly then I find a drink is much more effective. This will be a handy size to carry for those occasions when the tablets aren't going to work quickly enough. Hypostop works well but Jess says it tastes horrible, lucozade is our other choice but the bottle sizes are just too big.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SophiaW said:
They work out at £1.25 per bottle, but as we won't use them often I don't mind paying that for the convenience. We usually use the tablets but if the hypo is coming on quickly then I find a drink is much more effective. This will be a handy size to carry for those occasions when the tablets aren't going to work quickly enough. Hypostop works well but Jess says it tastes horrible, lucozade is our other choice but the bottle sizes are just too big.

£1.25 isn't bad for peace of mind. Jess is right about Hypostop, it's revolting stuff and they need to make the taste of it more palatable.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Look in the cake making section in super markets and you will find liquid glucose in a plastic tube costs about £1.10 or less. Just have a squeeze (spoon size) It tastes a lot nicer than hypo stop. Cap can be replaced so no wastage and lasts for ages

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Been buying glucojuice from amazon for a while now - occasionally its on offer so it's a good one to keep an eye on. Really handy size handbag bottles and words really quickly with the added benefit of taking the exact amount of recommended glucose to treat a hypo (and not swig lucozade from a bigger bottle and guess the amount which is what I used to do). In our local hospital this is what all nurses use now in the wards to treat hypos.

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glucojuice is great but expensive. I bought a couple of empty 100ml plastic bottles off of ebay cheaply and use those for lucozade. Can get bottles in pound shop's and the like labelled as travel bottles too, they are often around 60ml

Going to take CarbsRok's tip too. Never thought of looking in the bakery section. As a bloke I tend to get put off my the sparklies :)