LOW CARBS & ENERGY LEVELS - HELP!

Dido

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice please :?

I have been eating salads for my lunch (weekdays only) in an attempt to reduce BG & Insulin intake.
I have been doing so for around eight months now, with good results, albeit the odd hypo.
Typical lunch is lettuce, toms, cucumber, beetroot then either Tuna, ham or chicken.
I have been running 2 or 3 times a week too, and not feeling bad at all.
However for the last few days, my energy levels have dropped drastically, I feel exhausted, very low and my stomach is three times it's usual size (the bloating is not unusual for me).
Breakfast is usually weetabix or cereal bar, and an apple mid morning, with a "normal" evening meal, which is usually low/medium on the carbs side.
Is the repetitive salad with little carbs having an effect on my energy levels? I'm really confused when it comes to low carbing. My Nurse told me I must try and have some carbs with lunch.......
I would love to hear from anyone that can shed some light.
I was thinking of swapping the salads for wholemeal sandwiches with salad/tuna etc but worried I will increase insulin intake therefore gain weight.
Thanks
Dido

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like something else to me - have you eaten anything that might have caused a stomach upset? Do you have any constipation? Food staying around in the digestive tract for too long will tend to ferment causing gas and bloating but you may well have eaten something that your system is trying to deal with.

If your energy levels have dropped then it seem likely that your digestion is struggling with something.

Have you changed or taken any new medication or anything?

The problem may be totally unrelated to the salads but were they washed properly? Salad, as good as it is, and especially if it is prepackaged can be a breeding ground for unpleasant bacteria.

The fact that you have been doing well on the regime for 8 months suggests that this is something out of the norm.

paulie

Hi Dido

It's hard to tell exactly what the problem is via e-mail but I doubt whether it's a problem with the lunchtime salads. Do you take in adequate amounts of essential fats in your diet (a must if you're operating on a no/low carb regime)?

In addition, wha'ts your water intake like - dehydration could be a factor, especially this time of year.

Let me know how it goes.

Dido

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Yes I agree I think it's the digestion/bloating that's the problem. My water intake is good, usually 1.5-2L per day but I don't think it helped on this occasion :?
Going to see how I am after the weekend, felt slightly better today so fingers crossed!
:D