Low GAD level

Kosiejelly

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
I was diagnosed LADA with a gad level of 18, which I understand is pretty low, although my doctors have said definitely LADA.

I’m on basal and bolus insulin. My basal has fluctuated between 1 and 2 units daily depending on overnight levels. Recent nights I’ve been fairly low all night so I’m considering stopping basal until I see higher figures. I’ll carry on with bolus even though I’m rarely above 7 these past few weeks.

I’m starting to have a creeping feeling that I’m not really diabetic despite what the doctors have said. Taking such low insulin already makes me feel a little fraudulent. I’m aware of the honeymoon period and that I might just be experiencing that. I know my thought process isn’t logical but I can’t help it. It wasn’t helped by a recent doctor’s letter that said ‘likely’ LADA. I’ve had more antibody tests to confirm but the results have gone missing, which really doesn’t help.

I’d be interested to know if there’s anybody here who had similar experiences with their levels and how it’s gone for them. Thanks.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all.
I was diagnosed LADA with a gad level of 18, which I understand is pretty low, although my doctors have said definitely LADA.

I’m on basal and bolus insulin. My basal has fluctuated between 1 and 2 units daily depending on overnight levels. Recent nights I’ve been fairly low all night so I’m considering stopping basal until I see higher figures. I’ll carry on with bolus even though I’m rarely above 7 these past few weeks.

I’m starting to have a creeping feeling that I’m not really diabetic despite what the doctors have said. Taking such low insulin already makes me feel a little fraudulent. I’m aware of the honeymoon period and that I might just be experiencing that. I know my thought process isn’t logical but I can’t help it. It wasn’t helped by a recent doctor’s letter that said ‘likely’ LADA. I’ve had more antibody tests to confirm but the results have gone missing, which really doesn’t help.

I’d be interested to know if there’s anybody here who had similar experiences with their levels and how it’s gone for them. Thanks.
Hi Kosiejelly

Following my diagnosis as LADA I was like you on a low dose of basal. I have gradually crept up to 12.5 units of basal. The increase has happened over about 3 years, With LADA my understanding is that the honeymoon period is longer.

Being diagnosed with diabetes takes some getting used so be kind to yourself as you get used to everything.

Reactions: Kosiejelly

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kosiejelly I was started on a minimal amount of Humulin M3 when I was diagnosed (uncertainty at that time if T1 or T2), but I stopped after 3 weeks as I was immediately dipping into low 4s and having to treat before hypoing, which was frankly ridiculous! So if you are in the early stages, then it might not be the right time for all the insulin just yet - your consultant or diabetic nurse team will be able to tell from the results you are getting - are you on Libre?

As my c-peptide was relatively good, but then all anti-body tests positive, the nurses were happy for me to stay off insulin at that time and since.

I am on low carb and metformin, and that has kept me in non-diabetic range since less than 3 months after diagnosis, and I am happy with that, but have been offered to start bolus insulin if I want to eat more carbs, I don't. Depending on which way you have decided to go, there are lots of things to put in the mix with early days treatment, so different combos will work for different people at different stages.

I have had the misdiagnosis thoughts too, but when I have eaten out of the ordinary, 'higher-carb by mistake' meals it has really sky-rocketed my BG levels, so sadly proving that all is not as well as it could be; dodgy old emission heater (usually OK but going to conk out at some point if you leave it on all day) vs a swish combo-boiler is my analogy.

PS. My consultant uses the phrase 'indicative of T1/LADA' as I don't think anything is really conclusive, if you haven't gone into DKA, rely on insulin and probably have a few complications in the mix. Another joy of LADA!

Reactions: Kosiejelly

Kosiejelly

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both. My overnight figures were pretty stable around high 4s to 5 for most of the time I’ve been on insulin, which admittedly is only 3 months. In the last week they’ve dipped into high 3s. This morning I woke up feeling poorly - the first time the numbers and how I feel match. So I have stopped the 1 basal unit for now.

Could be summer temps. Could be menopause. Could be honeymoon period. Who knows? keep monitoring and carry on!

And thanks for the reassurance about the diagnosis.

Reactions: Mrs HJG