Lowered BG levels are giving new symptoms

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

I'm a T2 who was formally diagnosed and put on Metformin a few weeks ago and, after a couple of years of denying I might have been pre-diabetic, I'm now trying very hard to bring this thing under control. I've cut out all sugary foods and any added sugar, lowered my carb intake significantly, am exercising more and have started drinking a lot more water through the day. I've lost 9 lbs in the past month.

I've also been doing a lot of testing, to get a better feel of what does what (foods, exercise, etc.), and I've seen a significant drop in my readings during that time. Whereas previously I used to get 9s and 10s, I've not had any of those for 3 weeks. My waking test is generally below 7 and I'm getting quite a few of the pre-meal results in the low 5s. Some of the readings are even going into the high 4s.

However, when those low readings do occur, it coincides with tingling/vague numbness in my legs and hands and sudden 'hot flushes' in my feet - the latter's not totally unpleasant on a cold day, but they're all a bit disconcerting. A few weeks ago, just after my diagnosis, the DN checked the circulation in my feet and did the sensitivity test, and said everything was absolutely fine.

I don't recall having all, this when my levels were high. Am I overdoing things or is this a normal consequence of the body readjusting to a new regime?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could well be what they call false hypo's where you body is adapting to the lower bg levels after previously been running high for a long period of time, if things don't improve have a chat with your gp.