Lows at Work

jbax88

Hi,

I'm new to all this so excuse my ignorance... My boyfriend is Type 1 and has been for 20 years. He has just changed his job to a more manual one and spends a lot of time on the move. Subsequently he is experiencing more 'lows' throughout the day.

I'm thinking he needs to increase his carbs but he doesn't want to upset his bloods too much as generally they were fine. Any ideas would be great ?

Thanks

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
rather than increasing carbs he could reduce insulin. Is he on a pump or Bolus basal?

jbax88

Ahh, told you I'm new to this ... Bolus basal (he takes regular insulin throughout the day and then has an overnight one too)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If its at one time of day (say after lunch) he could reduce his lunch insulin but you would need to test to see the pattern :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm thinking he needs to increase his carbs but he doesn't want to upset his bloods too much as generally they were fine. Any ideas would be great ?

He could eat more if that suited him better and this would mean he didn't have to adjust his insulin again when not in work, but I do agree with Engineer that a reduction in insulin would be better solution, however the choice is his.

jbax88

Doesn' he risk being too 'high' then if he reduces insulin or eats more carbs ? Or is it just best to experiment and then it regulates itself ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Doesn' he risk being too 'high' then if he reduces insulin or eats more carbs ? Or is it just best to experiment and then it regulates itself ?

If he reduces his insulin slowly then tests his bg he will know when the dose is right by the results, if he didn't adjust the insulin then he will continue to have hypo's unless he carb loads, does that make sense?

Reactions: 2 people