Making Sense of Results

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is a difficult thing to respond to... You may just naturally be the sweetest of the bunch and come the next ice age you will survive due to the antifreeze in your body. Or... Are you breaking down protein for energy. When I am in this state I get a constant raise level of 5.6. Nothing brings it down.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Andrew. I doubt it is a protein problem. I am fairly consistent in my energy split at 50% fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein. I must be sweet. :)

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Hi Gudrun.
Why are we prediabetics actually taking a morning fasting test...other than for curiosity. I didn't bother taking mine this morning. X

Even as prediabetics it is very useful to see the trend (whether the numbers are going up or down). I measure my fasting BS every morning and then take the monthly average. For example:

August 2013 - 5.57
September 2013 - 5.79
October 2013 - 5.94
November 2013 - 6.05
December 2013 - 5.78
January 2014 - 5.80
February 2014 - 5.99
March 2014 - 6.22

When I got to March and the numbers had kept increasing I joined this forum and in April changed my eating habits to low carb/medium fat.

April 2014 - 5.52 (5.3 since starting the low carb/medium fat)
May 2014 (so far) - 5.28

This means that I'm doing something right and it's worthwhile to continue.

Reactions: 8 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Andrew. My fasting BG has not been more than 5.2 so far and as low as 4.2. :)

If your fasting levels are that good, I'm surprised you have been diagnosed as prediabetic. I would have thought that these levels are still perfectly normal.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your fasting levels are that good, I'm surprised you have been diagnosed as prediabetic. I would have thought that these levels are still perfectly normal.

That's what I think too!

My prob is my fasting BG but all other numbers seem to be in the range so am I really prediabetic?!

I am trying to work on the fasting test though. This morning was 6.9. Boooooo :-((((

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think, Deb, that it is the fasting BG that counts (although I'm a newbie and I may be wrong).

It is always better to err on the side of caution than to pretend it's not so bad and live as you always lived. With a fasting BG of 6.9 I would put you squarely into the prediabetic range.

I had lunch earlier and a couple of hours later my BG was 4.7. Of course I'm pleased with that, but I have also been shopping (and hence, walking) and that would always reduce the BG levels.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks G.

I'll live as though I'm
Prediabetic forever now but I can't help but wonder!!!

I quite like the diet so far. Got my first diabetic friendly korma on the go at the moment!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks G.

I'll live as though I'm
Prediabetic forever now but I can't help but wonder!!!

I quite like the diet so far. Got my first diabetic friendly korma on the go at the moment!

Deb, I have just been looking at a book by Gretchen Becker (from all I know she's well respected in her advice on diabetes and prediabetes). In that book is a chart. According to that chart the BG of a normal (non-diabetic) person returns back to what it was before a meal was eaten, whereas in her chart the BG levels of a prediabetic person DROP below what it was before eating.

Obviously, charts such as this are generalisations, but I think you and I have to live as though we will remain prediabetic for life. Some say that it can be reversed, but I suspect that if we bring our BG levels all back into normal and start going back to eating the way we used to, we'll be right back where we started within days/weeks/months.

Still, I think we are very lucky to have found out so early.