Medic bracelet question

Stephandson

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I'm very new to forum sites!!! My son has just recieved his first medic bracelet and promptly put it on, I told him it is not to come off ever, it's not a toy and it needs to stay on always!! He said yes then went off to school.

He returned from school saying hr had to take it off at school for P.E in the hall, he was told to leave it in the class room as everyone at school knows he has Diabetes! He said he wasn't allowed to take it off but the teacher said, "if you don't take it off you can't do P.E" I'm slightly worried that in event of an emergency and no teachers present he should have it on always to alert paramedics firefighters etc... Am I in my right to request it stays on, or is it normal for schools to request it taken off?

Many thanks Steph

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You would need to discuss this with the Head Teacher.

This may be a Health and safety issue in that the bracelet could get snagged on something and potentially injure your child during activities. Is it a loose metal bracelet or plastic ?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess policy differs between schools. Jess doesn't currently wear medical ID at primary school because the staff who care for her are fairly constant from lesson to lesson and they have been well educated about her diabetes. She is never left to do PE without a member of staff present who knows her condition.

But secondary school I will want her to wear some sort of ID. For PE I expect they'll probably ask for jewellery to be removed, but provided the member of staff is in posession of the jewellery and is aware of her diabetes I don't see that as a problem. She wears a pump too and this will not be removed for most PE lessons so any medical emergency personnel will quite easily identify that she has diabetes. What would concern me more (after hearing what happens at my son's secondary school) is that the jewellery will be lost or taken/hidden (as a prank) whilst she is not wearing it.

Here is a thread that discussed a similar topic viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16504&start=0

Stephandson

Thank you, he has a rubber bracelet ( like the charity ones) I got this as I thought it would be more appropriate for sport swimming etc... My main concern is if there was an emergency in the school and my child was left alone for any reason he should have the band on, in case the first person he meets is not someone who knows him I know I'm probably over panicking but I just assumed that if he has a rubber bracelet, it goes on and stays on, no playing with it,taking it off and losing it ! He is an 8 year old boy so I wanted to instill some ground rules straight away!! Didn't think it would pose a problem but it obviously does!!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have thought a rubber bracelet would have been okay I can't see it do much harm. Maybe if you explain the situation to the head teacher they will understand and allow him to wear it.

sugar2

When I read your first post I was going to say....get one of those runner ones... but I can see you have already done that!

I would have a quiet word with the teacher, class teacher or head teacher, and point out your concerns. Schools have the rules for good reason, but in this instance, I would try and get them to make an exception. In my opinion, it is not the danger he faces during PE, if thr teacher is aware etc, but the fact that he is human, and will, at some point, forget to put it back afterwards...and this cpuld be a problem.