Medtronic guardian sensor 4

Annie02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How often do you have to calibrate the sensor? Is it necessary to recalibrate the sensor when you sense the sensor is wrong over or under reading your blood sugar

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
According to Medtronic there’s no need to calibrate the G4.
However, any BG checks you do will calibrate the sensor.
After a new sensor has ‘warmed up’ you should ‘Check BG’ also if and when you get ‘High/Low’ alert messages.
As has been suggested by another forum member (@Nicola M) I tend to just do a couple of routine checks each day, which are usually quite accurate.

Last edited:

Annie02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply you have been very helpful only thing with my blood sugar readings is I’ve to manually load them as I’m not eligible for a Glucometer upgrade. I was a bit afraid of giving too many blood sugar readings to the pump in case I overload it with information

Reactions: Dexta

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the above person meant to tag me but I’m just going to echo what has been said. I always check if my pump alerts to me being low/high to make sure it’s correct and see if I need to check for ketones and/or treat a low blood sugar. If I’m going for a drive and I’m on the lower side I’ll double check with a finger stick just to make sure it is accurate and I’m safe to drive. I’ve never used the glucometer that talks to the pump, stuck in my old ways :hilarious: So have to manually input the readings. Generally they say calibrating 2-3 times helps with accuracy I don’t think you need to do it more than that though. In theory you don’t have to input every finger stick you take to the pump, if my readings are close I don’t always input the reading.

Reactions: Dexta

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’d like to confirm that those who are using G4 are calibrating daily because they think it improves function and not because it’s required.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me I still do a couple of checks per day purely for reassurance as I’m still quite new to the G4. If I was to start a long drive or be involved in a lengthy important meeting (thankfully not so often these days!) I would probably do a check just for peace of mind, but it really isn’t necessary. Sometimes it can be 1 or 2 points adrift from my glucometer, but that’s when my glucose levels are changing quickly following exercise or a meal and then they seem to align. We have to consider the 15 minute time lag between the glucometer and the sensor readings.

Reactions: Prancy