Meter readings

Mae123

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced wildly fluctuating blood sugar/meter readings?
I'm a Type 2 Diabetic [diagnosed at Xmas] and have been using the Abbott Freestyle Lite meter, I tested myself today after a Salmon sandwich on Brown Bread [which normally doesn't spike me] and 1 hour after eating I was 9.9mmol, I then went for a 40 min bike ride and re-tested and it came up at 2.6mmol! I did another test a minute later and it read 3.0mmol although I felt fine? ...help!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I would actually trust the 2.6 and 3.0 meter readings far more than the 9.9!

If you read some of the Type 1 threads you'll see that some of them are still quite coherent even with readings in the high 1's !

The reason is that although its true that the hypo range starts from the high 2's your body isn't stupid and will protect itself by for example keeping the BG level in your brain and other vital areas higher than the overall average for as long as possible.

The 2.6 and 3.0 readings probably occurred because of the exercise you did. I would bet if you remeasured 15 mins after finishing the bike ride you'd have seen a significant rise in BG's caused by your liver doing what its supposed to do by dumping glucose into your bloodstream. I've had similar experiences with getting low to mid 3's then 15 minutes later being in the 7's without eating or drinking anything in the meantime.

The 9.9 was probably a dodgy strip, or not enough blood for the sample, or something on your finger. Did you measure that twice? It could even be that the 9.9 is correct and you're fighting off some bug without realising it.

Wouldn't worry about it. It was just one reading.