Metformin reaction

Virodrhz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In April my a1c was a 7 so I was put on metformin.. I also happened to quit drinking alcohol after I started that medication.. I've noticed over the last couple of months, I have small bumps all over my face... at first I was thinking it was the toxins causing acne from not drinking anymore, but then I noticed the small bumps on the back of my hands... has anybody else ever had an allergic reaction like this to metformin ??? My 3 month check up is on July 21st so I will ask my dr.. but I just want to be prepared with my questions .

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definitely be asking for liver function tests. Both alcohol and metformin have been known to cause liver damage, so best to be tested for peace of mind.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was on medication I was unfortunate in having many adverse side effects. One of them was bright red areas of my face if I shaved. I managed to determine which pill caused what for the most part but never found out what caused the face effect. Your story is interesting to me for that reason. It took a long time to clear up when off the pills.

Deafmum5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I had one with metformin but I was taken ill with diahorrea n gp said it wasn't suit for me so gp had to change the tablets. Never again using metformin x

bigfrey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I had one with metformin but I was taken ill with diahorrea n gp said it wasn't suit for me so gp had to change the tablets. Never again using metformin x
Hello, I am new to the group. I was recently put on Metformin and had serious diahrrea. I was told to reduce the dosage to half and see. Honestly, I dont even want to touch the stuff. Any suggestions? My blood sugar is 120 , fasting sugar level 6.8. thanks

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hello, I am new to the group. I was recently put on Metformin and had serious diahrrea. I was told to reduce the dosage to half and see. Honestly, I dont even want to touch the stuff. Any suggestions? My blood sugar is 120 , fasting sugar level 6.8. thanks
Some people find the slow release version has fewer side effects. Also, it's a good idea to start gradually with 500mg for a week, then 1000mg the next week and so on. If after trying these things and giving it a bit of time to settle, it still has really bad side effects then I'm afraid your doctor will just have to find an alternative. It's also important to try and get your sugars down by diet and exercise first, if possible.

Reactions: 2 people

bigfrey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i do bikram yoga regularly. I will add some cardio and lessen starch intake. thank you for your reply