More blood to be taken on Thursday. :(

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG is creeping up on my meter it was 11 just now. I have been trying to be good and I get more bloods taken on Thursday. What should I say to my doctor? I was basically just told to keep an eye out for weight loss, should I admit to testing? I was managing to keep it under 10 and some days it was 6 but it seems to be completely random. last Friday it was at 14! My doc said there is no one test for LADA i just have to wait...? Wait for what? I am now up to 2000mg of Metformin and to be honest I don't think they are doing diddly squat and this waiting, being off work is really starting to irk me. I know it sounds stupid, but I just wish they would put me on insulin. I just want to be able to deal with this and get on with things... bleugh.. sorry, turning into a train of thought writing. And apologies, I seem to just pop in here randomly with other random questions that run through my mind. Again, any advice would be very helpful.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bump

I'm sorry, I can't contribute anything about LADA, medication, or how LADA is diagnosed.

All I can do is bump you thread back up to the top of the list and ask if you have a correlation between eating carbs and BG, compared with eating less carbs, and BG.?

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I have been pretty much sticking to leafy greens for lunch and having low to no carbs for dinner. Fresh made soups, that kind of thing. But my BG seems to be all over the place this past week. I also took my blood pressure and it was high too152/95. . I am on medication for that. My doctor says I might be type 1 just have to keep an eye on things. It is just so frustrating.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Ask for a GAD test. A GAD antibody will confirm whether you have autoimmune diabetes or not. If you have antibodies you are autoimmune and therefore either type 1 or LADA/1.5 and if you have no antibodies you are non-autoimmune and so therefore type 2.

Reactions: 3 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Ian. I'd just add that a lack of antibodies doesn't necessarily indicate you're not autoimmune - it is just inconclusive - that's one of the reasons the doctors don't like doing them - cost is the other! Ask for a c-peptide test too -it tells you how much insulin you are producing - high BG and high insulin usually indicates Type 2 whereas high BG and low insulin usually indicates Type 1.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Ian. I'd just add that a lack of antibodies doesn't necessarily indicate you're not autoimmune - it is just inconclusive - that's one of the reasons the doctors don't like doing them - cost is the other! Ask for a c-peptide test too -it tells you how much insulin you are producing - high BG and high insulin usually indicates Type 2 whereas high BG and low insulin usually indicates Type 1.

Smidge

Would they have done these tests as routine at the Endos Smudge because my HbA1c was 14% or 130 yet i distinctly remember him saying I had low insulin so doesn't sound like a type 2 ??

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They might well have done the c-peptide Susie. The results of it give an indication of what type of diabetes you have, but it is not conclusive because poorly-controlled Type 2's can also show low insulin levels after they have had the condition for a long while and the constant high BGs has caused their pancreas to work ever-harder, and eventually caused the beta cells to die. So, a low c-peptide level would tell you that you are not producing enough insulin and probably need to inject insulin. It indicates Type 1 (or specifically LADA) diabetes in those relatively newly-diagnosed, but can indicate progression of Type 2 in those who have been poorly-controlled for a long time (either diagnosed or undiagnosed). If they found low-insulin levels, it would be sensible to follow-up with a GAD test to try to confirm the type. However, at the point where low-insulin is found, the treatment will be insulin whatever the type of diabetes, so they often don't bother to confirm the type at that stage.

With me, after having originally being misdiagnosed as Type 2 by my GP without any diagnostic tests I became very ill. The consultant suspected LADA and tested for the GAD antibodies. That came back highly positive and so he never did the c-peptide to see how much insulin I was producing - he put me straight onto insulin.

In reality, both tests together give the best indication of the type of diabetes you have, how it is likely to progress and what treatment is most appropriate.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They might well have done the c-peptide Susie. The results of it give an indication of what type of diabetes you have, but it is not conclusive because poorly-controlled Type 2's can also show low insulin levels after they have had the condition for a long while and the constant high BGs has caused their pancreas to work ever-harder, and eventually caused the beta cells to die. So, a low c-peptide level would tell you that you are not producing enough insulin and probably need to inject insulin. It indicates Type 1 (or specifically LADA) diabetes in those relatively newly-diagnosed, but can indicate progression of Type 2 in those who have been poorly-controlled for a long time (either diagnosed or undiagnosed). If they found low-insulin levels, it would be sensible to follow-up with a GAD test to try to confirm the type. However, at the point where low-insulin is found, the treatment will be insulin whatever the type of diabetes, so they often don't bother to confirm the type at that stage.

With me, after having originally being misdiagnosed as Type 2 by my GP without any diagnostic tests I became very ill. The consultant suspected LADA and tested for the GAD antibodies. That came back highly positive and so he never did the c-peptide to see how much insulin I was producing - he put me straight onto insulin.

In reality, both tests together give the best indication of the type of diabetes you have, how it is likely to progress and what treatment is most appropriate.

Smidge

Thank you :) I'll make sure to ask him about this when i go .