My latest hospital checkup

pavmas

My latest result came in and the nurse asked me to list my diabetic medecation, insulin and vit D.
She practically called me a liar and refused to believe that i was not on statins, inhibibtors (spelling) and a host of other medication.
She honestly could not accept I was on just insulin, My readings for everything were perfect and she was amazed that I had 9.00 for Kidney as that is the best you can get either diabetic or not, my blood pressure etc was spot on.

I have never had a hypo for 6 months or more my blood reading is always steady and i was thinking yesterday that I might not be diabetic anymore as I was never above 6.00 2 hours after meals or below 5.8 for 2 days, but im not because when I fasted to find out I dropped to 2.85.

So Im still diabetic so why am i getting such good readings, My food is all home cooked, im a vegetarian i eat fruit all day.
I think bananas are whats keeping me good, if i feel a bit hungry i have a banana this keeps my blood steady and will last a few hours, I buy about 5kg of bananas a week and also eat a lot of pears, with nearly every meal i eat olives and have fruit sugar in my tea.

I dont drink achohol but do smoke.

The fact is im doing something right but dont know what

So after the the first six months I settled down and 3 years in a row my reading have just got better and better.
The reason Im putting this here is that some people make have spikes and drops in their blood readings and never tried bananas to try and steady them or olives and might find this useful.

Is anyone else getting perfect readings and what do you do thats different.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi
That's great, sounds like you've got it down to a fine art! Your diabetes nurse should be praising you, and listening and learning from your experience. If your blood tests are good and your BGs are stable, wot's her gripe?
I think it's standard to put all diabetics on statins these days. I'm like you, no kidney probs, no high blood pressure, so why would I want to go on something with such horrible side-effects.
I've started eating lower carb again recently and it's great that I don't need to take much short-acting insulin. I eat a lot of strawberries and spinach, and probably too many nuts, but I love them! And I walk a lot, BG not been above 7.6 all day.
I'll have a small bottle of orange or tropical juice during my walk to avoid a hypo, usually works.

Keep up the good work!
Jus :)

pavmas

Hi
Thats Great glad to hear it.

When I first came on here I asked someone who was diabetic for forty years and had no problems, "what reading did she have before bed" she said she always tried to have 6.6.

I copied that and always try to get that before bed and it seems to have done no harm.

We can listen to all the doctors and nurses but only diabetics can tell me the results of trial and error.
Joe